Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprap converted to drawing machine

Posted by Martin Isak Jansen 
reprap converted to drawing machine
December 17, 2009 05:18PM
Hi all.

I'm dreaming about building a drawing machine based on the reprap. However, mine will be a bit larger. I'm thinking 3m x 2m or there about. Probably using a more conventional xyz setup than the new pyramid design. And replacing the print head with a pen holder of some sort.

Now...

How would you think the lovely new electronics could cope with this new setup? Different lengths and no extruder head?

Is it reasonable to think that if I brought a set of electronics and motors. Hocked it up to the new setup, it would mostly work without to much trouble?

How would the software do? I suppose that it should be fine as long as I find something that can make some sensible g-code?

- Martin
Re: reprap converted to drawing machine
January 05, 2012 07:58AM
While a larger reprap sounds wonderful, For 2d plotting and artistic greyscale shading, you might want to build a special-purpose machine. I've built, and been very happy with, the polargraph. It is a really nicely designed large-format drawing machine that uses an arduino, adafruit motor shield, and two stepper motors. I used some small, low-resolution motors I had sitting around and put together the whole thing for less than $20 (I had all the parts but the shield). Information can be found at:

[www.polargraph.co.uk]
[code.google.com]

And some reprap-able parts that are nice, but not strictly necessary (I used molded and drilled shapelock for the gears at first):
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]

Good luck,
James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 10:08AM by DocJames.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login