Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machine shop repstrap, not a Millstrap

Posted by ww_kayak 
Machine shop repstrap, not a Millstrap
August 26, 2013 11:33PM
OK, I'll admit it (and apologize now). I came into this hobby with a chip on my shoulder. I have a pretty complete machine shop, and though "I'll create a 3D printer way better than these wannabe CNC hobbyists". I really didn't say it out loud... but mentally it's pretty close to where I was at thumbs down.

"Let me just download the models and make a 3D printer"...um... WAIT, they have hexagonal, and square, holes? And 90 degree corners. I can't do that without another 1000 dollars worth of equipment? NOW I GET IT smiling smiley

So, that being said, I have a lathe, and a retrofitted CNC Chinese mill (G07040), and a buttload of aluminum, brass, and Delrin, and time.

The J-Head, with machining instructions looks great.

I have a couple Arduino Mega's.

The frame and rails I can tinker with, and copy.

BUT... the extruder: Wade's looks good but it actually has alot of 90 degree corners, slots, and hexagonal bolt recesses.

Obviously I can cob fixes for each of these, but I'd rather just make a nice clean version of an extruder for a repstrap.

My ego, is still here. I don't wanna buy parts, and I'd like to create some nice aluminum/Brass/Delrin parts (as opposed to plywood), even though its a repstrap.

Any good suggestions for a "mill-able" extruder cold end?. I could make multiples for the cost of shipping smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - lightbulb1-despicableme1.jpg (12.6 KB)
Re: Machine shop repstrap, not a Millstrap
August 27, 2013 07:04AM
There are a number of extruder designs made out of layered wood. For example this one: [www.thingiverse.com]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 27, 2013 07:46PM
I think the thing is that the models for a reprap are DFM - designed for manufacture.
So they have been optimized for the process i.e. using a reprap machine.
If you have a milling machine and some material (brass or aluminium) then the designs could be tweaked to suit that process.
By replacing slots and hex bolt recesses with threaded holes and adding internal radii the parts could be machined.
August 27, 2013 08:00PM
MikeWazowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the thing is that the models for a reprap
> are DFM - designed for manufacture.
> So they have been optimized for the process i.e.
> using a reprap machine.
> If you have a milling machine and some material
> (brass or aluminium) then the designs could be
> tweaked to suit that process.
> By replacing slots and hex bolt recesses with
> threaded holes and adding internal radii the parts
> could be machined.
Exactly. I can find lots of recommendations for great extruders, but, like you said they are designed to be printed. I can modify the designs, but I was just wondering if somebody in this forum had machined one already, or was more familiar with the more popular extruders, and could recommend one that wont require too many changes.

I'll probably just go with Wade's geared extruder, and tweak it, unless anybody has a better suggestion. (or any warnings)

Thanks
August 28, 2013 12:23PM
My first extruder was milled from polycarbonate : [forums.reprap.org]
It was machined with a light mill, the 3D printer itself actually.
August 29, 2013 05:57PM
Petrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My first extruder was milled from polycarbonate :

I hate to say how many Epson printers I threw out. The last one I actually took the stepper out and tore it apart to see how it worked winking smiley I have some 1/2 inch poly... overkill? winking smiley Actually I have a ton of 1/4" aluminum.
Any drawings of your extruder parts?
August 30, 2013 01:58PM
I made it from 8 and 4mm polycarbonate, here is the sketchup assembly :assemb.zip
August 30, 2013 02:02PM
Perfect, thanks. I'll post some pics of my aluminum version, which may be a few months, the way I work winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login