Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNC tool path generators for reprap electronics

Posted by ovenator 
CNC tool path generators for reprap electronics
August 02, 2013 07:40PM
I've got what is basically an extruded aluminum reprap prusa with a dremel on it. It is definately strong enough to cut pine, so the hardware shouldn't be a problem.

The issue I'm having is getting some software that will take my .stl files and generate subtractive tool paths. I've tried skeinforge's built in cnc tool path generator which is a little lacking in almost everything and I've tried PyCNC with a little java application that's suposed to convert the gcode it generates into stuff that my Marlin firmware will understand. Apparently all reprap community uses a slightly different gcode than all the CNC people. I think it's .ngc vs .gcode or something like that. PyCNC didn't work because it didn't generate the correct tool path (it kept moving the tool through the part I was trying to mill out). Admitadly this is probaby my fault and with a bit more fiddeling it might work just fine, but I wondered if anybody had any better suggestions for toolpath generating software.

tl;dr: What is the best software for generating CNC toolpaths and executing them on reprap hardware/firmware.
Re: CNC tool path generators for reprap electronics
August 03, 2013 08:51AM

Apparently all reprap community uses a slightly different gcode than all the CNC people.

Not sure about Marlin, but Teacup works with CNC-milling G-code just fine. The only attention is required for stuff like spindle on/off and similar things. Typical CNC machines have a S keyword for it, RepRap electronics use spindles like a heater: M104 with speed control or M106 uncontrolled.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 06, 2013 12:04PM
Traumflug, what do you currently use for Control and CAM for your CNC projects?
August 08, 2013 05:30AM
Control: Teacup firmware. CAM: Catia, gEDA/PCB, Visolate.

August 09, 2013 05:03PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Not sure about Marlin, but Teacup works with CNC-milling G-code just fine.

I wonder if Pronterface was the one causing me difficulty with .ngc files then. It's been a while but I'm fairly sure I tried this with teacup.
August 10, 2013 07:11AM
The name of a file or its suffix doesn't matter. What matters is the contents. And if the controller gets stuck somewhere it's a bug. Did you file that?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login