Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cyclone, a 3D printable CNC router for PCB manufacture

Posted by carlosgs 
Cyclone, a 3D printable CNC router for PCB manufacture
June 16, 2013 12:19PM
Hi everyone,
I have seen the 3D-printable PCB mill made by tmahring and wanted to share some tips that I have found out while working on Cyclone.

• Regarding workbed leveling: the Z probing technique has proven to give a very good quality without the need to level the copper board.
  • Z axis will perform better if driven with 2:1 reduction instead of directly with the motor.
  • The step that is more sensitive to axis robustness is cutting the edges of the board (using a chip-breaker bit)

Also, for those with experience using different router bits, please check this list and let us know your thoughts. I want to test as many bits as possible.

I hope you like the design, please let me know your questions so they can be properly documented!
Attachments:
open | download - Cyclone_built_v0.9.7.jpg (95.4 KB)
Re: Cyclone, a 3D printable CNC router for PCB manufacture
June 17, 2013 06:40AM
A few notes from me, too:

- End mills work fine, but 0.6 mm is already too wide.

- My current favourite are 0.3 mm / 25° V-bits. Best compromise between low tendency for burring and track width variations. The smaller the diameter, the more burring you get due to low cutting speed (given the spindle speed is constant). The higher the V angle is, the lower the tendency for burring. But at V angles > 30° the width of the milled track is too sensitive to inaccuracies in leveling.

- Also important for burr-free milling is a solid support of the raw material. Else the PCB will flutter.

Regarding the latter of these: I see you hold the PCB at the edges only. How can that work and how many burrs do you get? How many PCBs can you mill before the mill bit needs replacement? For myself, I can currently do some 20 to 30 PCBs with one bit. I mill with the PCB under water to reduce dust and increase mill bit life.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 21, 2013 05:14PM
Hi Traumflug, thanks for the info about the milling bits: I took it into account and ordered some 0.3mm/25°V-bits among others.
But I'm out of Spain during the Summer so I can't make further tests sad smiley

I have recently edited the video of the process (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKW3fwy1h0k)

Regarding the "flutter" of the PCB, I only noticed it when cutting (using one pass only, with multiple passes it is not that bad) and some bending when drilling. Can you suggest other way for holding the PCB?
The only burrs I see happened when doing the second pass with the 0.5mm super-bad bit (shown in the video)

By the moment I have only made a few PCBs, so I can't tell how much the bits will last. Also the software doesn't yet take in account the difference between bits, speeds... etc

Milling underwater would be really nice! no need for vacuum cleaner, right? smiling smiley

Thanks again for the feedback and sorry for the late response!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 05:28PM by carlosgs.
July 22, 2013 07:40AM

Can you suggest other way for holding the PCB?

I hold them with double sided adhesive tape. Cheap brands are better than expensive ones; worst case it sticks so firmly it takes minutes to peel the PCB off after the work.

Milling underwater would be really nice! no need for vacuum cleaner, right?

Right.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 05, 2014 12:56PM
thumbs up
very very nice!!
I would also try to make this one.

thanks for sharing!

maybe is it possible to get drawings 1:1 of the Cyclone?

greetings from Netherlands!
Rob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 02:51AM by 3D rob.
May 29, 2014 02:00PM
Hello everyone,

maybe someone will need the printed parts for a Cyclone PCB Factory - I have printed a complete set an request and decided to print a second one at the same time for sale. The set is listed on emakershop http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=2273 (note: I am a private person - not a company!). If you are interested, you can also write a PM (maybe you need only a few parts or just an other color).

Hope my parts will help with your projects :-)

Best wishes
3D Andy

July 21, 2014 02:31PM
Hi,

does someone know where to by a spindle for the cyclone cnc within europe?

greetings
July 22, 2014 01:17PM
Hi Muggi, sorry but I don't know european sellers (I bought the spindle from China through eBay).

But the newer version will be using a Dremel 200 spindle, which is air-cooled and doesn't require an additional 48V power supply.

Regards,
Carlos
July 24, 2014 01:27PM
carlosgs
Hi Muggi, sorry but I don't know european sellers (I bought the spindle from China through eBay).

But the newer version will be using a Dremel 200 spindle, which is air-cooled and doesn't require an additional 48V power supply.

Regards,
Carlos

cool dremel we can get everywhere..... where do i find the newer version?
July 24, 2014 01:55PM
This is the GitHub repository: [github.com]

The Z carriage is not yet designed, though smiling smiley
July 24, 2014 02:39PM
Cool

Big thanks... Which Parts are competed designed ( to slowly Start printing)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login