Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Open source CNC Plasma cutting table?

Posted by Phizinza 
Open source CNC Plasma cutting table?
May 03, 2013 01:09AM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of an open source CNC plasma cutter?
Something like in this video with it's dodgy background music [www.youtube.com]. And also if it could play that dodgy promo music while it cuts that would be awesome...

Looks like a pretty simple thing to build, using large steppers, belts, etc. My question probably lies more with the software side of things. I'm guessing as RepRaps can be turned into routers pretty easily that it would also be turned into a Plasma cutter. But is there something already for the job instead of having to try and tweak firmware and hardware to work for the application. And is there a postprocessor already setup to work with such a machine?

Thanks!
Re: Open source CNC Plasma cutting table?
May 03, 2013 07:36AM
Wow - I didn't even know "hand plasma cutters" were a thing and now I want to build one of these smiling smiley A lot of the work pieces were not to my taste (as wasn't the music smiling smiley but the way it powers through cutting is pretty impressive.

I could imagine this being relatively straight-forward to build, something similar to the ShapeOKO maybe (http://www.shapeoko.com/)?

Now, how to convince the wife that she wants one of these in the garage?! hmmm.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
May 03, 2013 10:37PM
Hahaha, I'm in the same boat trying to convince the wife...
May 04, 2013 02:45AM
It isn't that far from possible.

I have already built a crude table to create some parts for another project that I didn't want to make with hand tools.

The basics of the design uses a Gen7 1.4.

One of the Fets drives a 12V relay that triggers the plasma gun via seperate pcb board.

The firmware used is TeaCup, major modifications thought.

For the crude build it's only 2 axis build to make it easier for construction with nema 21's ( had belts, pulleys, idlers for them already ).

I've thrown a quick video up to show it in action. Sorry for the poor video, what can ya expect from a phone?

[itsdrone.hobby-site.org]

I have progressed to a full scale build but not done yet.

Its a bit burried under all the stuff but should be able to see the build. 5'x5' work area.

Dan

Fixed video url link to static. I don't know why it's not reading it properly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 02:48AM by ItsDrone.
May 04, 2013 07:44AM
Cool, what software are you using? I saw pronterface but the video stopped after that.
May 04, 2013 09:55AM
I've been writing the cut paths directly by spreadsheet formatting basically.

Any slicing program would create g-code that doesn't line up with the firmware on the board once I finished stripping it down.

Snapshot of one cut path file:
[pastebin.com]
This makes a very similar part to the video just the center is a circle instead.

Like you saw in the video, Pronterface is the driving program and that's on Ubuntu 10.04.

For a better picture of its movements and a video of the electronics here is the very first run of the "table"

[itsdrone.hobby-site.org]

It was going far to fast for the steppers/current/plate thickness but it gives you an idea what if can do.

Electronics: Gen7 1.4 Board, Relay daughter board from pass MDF Plasma CNC Table (no it didnt burn up), AT90USB Stick for USB-Serial link.

Dan
May 04, 2013 10:18PM
I found that the server you hosted the videos on wouldn't stream them fast enough so I downloaded them and had a watch.

Great proof of concept there. I would like an easier way to convert drawings to cut paths but it looks like you're well on your way.
March 27, 2014 09:22AM
I'm building a CNC plasma table and it´s all open source.

The site is http://flamecut.marcelodelnero.com.br

I'm releasing all the DXF drawings, STL files and BOM.

Right now only the main structure is ready but the complete drawings are going to be ok by the summer. I'll set a build log with pictures too.

Marcelo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 09:23AM by mdelnero.
January 19, 2017 07:18AM
There's mine - if you're interested!
[www.instructables.com]

Quite a few people in Europe & the US have built one so far. Mine gets used, probably as often as my printer! Being able to incorporate metal parts into 3D printed assemblies has been invaluable.

Happy to answer questions as required.

Si
January 19, 2017 08:21PM
Looks pretty good. I'll look into it. I'm hoping to complete this project this year to expand my business.
January 20, 2017 01:33AM
Prior to my current line of work, I ran a little fab-shop. Both this and my 3D Printer were transformative in terms of what I could tackle. The plasma didn't entirely replace laser cutting - but being able to have cut parts within 15 mins is great. It's also changed the economics of many projects, too expensive if they have to be laser cut.

Si
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login