Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Compatable Firmware?

Posted by eatumup 
Compatable Firmware?
July 30, 2012 11:23PM
I am attempting to make my first CNC machine using an Mega 2560 and a RAMPS 1.4shield. I have been stuck trying to figure out what software to put on the Arduino and what G-code maker/uploader to use. Suggestion there would be most appreciated.

My main question is requarding the Firmware options such as Sprinter, Marlin and Teacup. Looking at the wiki features list Sprinter AND Marlin support SD cards but does not list CNC milling. However Teacup lists CNC milling but not SD.

Would Sprinter or Marlin work unmodified? Or would I have to go with Teacup and lose the SD option?

Being that I am just starting, I dont think that modifiying the software before I get it working would be a great way to start.
Re: Compatable Firmware?
July 31, 2012 05:25AM
Teacup has the code for SD card support in place, it's just rarely used.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 31, 2012 12:55PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Teacup has the code for SD card support in place,
> it's just rarely used.

Thank you for that. But now you have me curious. Any idea why its not used so that often?
August 01, 2012 06:12AM

Thank you for that. But now you have me curious. Any idea why its not used so that often?

Probably historical reasons. Teacup always was a niche solution, even at the time it was far advanced over the competition. Currently, Teacup continues to live mostly because it's the default firmware for Generation 7 Electronics. Gen7 can drive a SD card, but there are no assembly instructions for this (yet), so only few people do this.

On how to get Teacup's SD card feature running: look into config.gen3.h, there's SD_CARD_DETECT and sd.c, there's some code.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 01, 2012 03:27PM
Marlin works for milling just fine. It's just not advertised because very, very few people use RepRap electronics for milling.

This thing contains perl scripts to postprocess PyCAM and HeeksCNC gcode for Marlin.
September 10, 2012 01:09PM
I've needed to change some lines of code in latest Marlin so it won't complain about not having a thermistor. If not, it would stop running because the firmware considers it a fault condition.

I guess you can alternatively force that analog input to a certain voltage value with a couple of resistors to fool Marlin into getting a certain temperature from the thermistor hotend.
September 17, 2012 09:47AM
I didn't need to do anything except set the TEMP_SENSOR defines to 0 (not used) in the Configuration.h file.
September 17, 2012 09:49AM
Maybe this is what I should have done but failed to see :-)
September 24, 2012 02:38AM
Actually my version of Marlin [1.0.0.RC2] does carry three TEMP_SENSOR[0,1,2] defines. Just setting them to 0 did not stop it from killing the system if a thermistor was not detected.
October 10, 2012 09:57AM
Well, it did for me, running Marlin with version string "1.0.0" (no RC2).
October 10, 2012 10:05AM
Maybe they did it right then. I have not searched the issue list.

Thanks for the info.

misan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login