Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen6 Input Voltage and effect on heater

Posted by NumberSix 
Gen6 Input Voltage and effect on heater
August 14, 2011 03:49PM
[this question is also posted on the mendel-parts forum, but i'm hoping for exposure of the question to a greater audiance here]

Hi there,
Could anyone tell me if I run 18v or 24v instead of 12v into the Gen6 board will my heater heat quicker?
If delivering a higher input voltage, might it help sustain a given target temperature better?
I'm using a mendel-parts resistor and thermistor in an aluminium block.

I might add, I'm not unhappy with my heat-up time, but I'm concerned that as I try to print faster it would need more power to sustain heat. I posted to the Mendel-parts site in the hope of finding out what thouse guys are running their macines at (voltage wise).

Regards and thanks,
No.6

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Re: Gen6 Input Voltage and effect on heater
August 14, 2011 04:15PM
I posted a reply there last night but here goes..
I run mine at 12V which is capable of heating it up to 240C using a 60w laptop charger, I only extrude at 175-180C for PLA and don't use ABS. I can print at 40-50mm/s no problems but see no reason why I would print any faster as I feel quality starts to reduce any faster than that

August 15, 2011 11:27AM
If you want more heater power, replace the heater resistor. 5.6 ohms instead of 6.8 ohms, for example.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Gen6 Input Voltage and effect on heater
August 16, 2011 03:12PM
I tried 17-20V and my resistors were not happy. Was nice experience though. From 0 to 220C was like 30-40 sec (2 parallel resistors). The swing at set temperature increased and was like 5 - 7 degrees instead of 2 degrees for 12V. Now I remained at 12V for 6R8 ones.

Yes i used the proper resistors, vitreous enameled from RS (not the usual power resistors). I think the I2R losses were too much. The outer section melted down and left the resistor wires exposed. They were in 1 layer of kapton so didnt shorted to each other through the block, but otherwise they would of (got that once last year). Their resistance slightly increased to ~8 ohms range at room temp now so surprisingly, they are not completelly broken and maybe it just looks worse than it is, but they are clearly affected at some extent. I havent used them since replacing the block though. Should note that i have been using them like that for like 2 months at least and i actually had no clue whatsoever that they were in trouble like that. I just wanted to change the heated block so i would use a M7 thread on the nozzle instead of M8. When i took the resistors out i have seen them like that. Replaced with new and never used more than 12V for 6R8 resistors i already have, but in future i might get something like 12-15R (i would try 20-30V someday). I havent done any math for that so dont rely on it, its just my blind guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login