Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EMC2RepRap Extruder Controller is working

Posted by goaran 
EMC2RepRap Extruder Controller is working
May 11, 2011 02:24PM
Hello,

i did not want to use the buggy reprap Host any more so i built some simple electronix that will work with EMC2

All you need is these electronix and 4 stepper drivers

The steppers are directly connected to EMC2
The temperature controller is connected via RS232

A video of the whole stuff can be seen here: [www.youtube.com]
and all the files to built this that are needed are on thingivers [www.thingiverse.com]

some documentation will follow.

my projects: [www.robotik.dyyyh.de] ...
Re: EMC2RepRap Extruder Controller is working
May 12, 2011 05:21AM
Sweet! Good job really. Very nicely done. Congratulations.
May 12, 2011 05:53AM
Thanks,

i think this methode has many advantages over the original reprap electronix

- it can be used for heavier machines espacially when repstrap like hybrid cnc/reprap machines are build because EMC2 moves the axis smooth with acceleration ramp much better than the reprap electronix do, which also increases the maximum speed that is possible.
- EMC2 is stable and has lots of options for optimization as well as a live view of the printing process in 3D
- all the communication that has to be done over rs232 is the Temperatur management, the electronix support 3 temperature sensors and 3 FET outputs.
- its cheap, only one small atmega8 board needed (and the stepper drivers)

Disadvantage is that alwas an PC is needed and it does not support printing from a SD-card.

May 12, 2011 06:41AM
I dont think sd card is used all that much, and pc is needed at least for slicing anyway so i dont think these mean too much disadvantage overall.

As disadvantages go, the point which is unclear to me is what emc2 pc connectivity solution would be cheapest / simplest in the absence of parallel port. I got to pass to fpga cards and such, etc which is my own big turnoff point.
May 12, 2011 06:52AM
I bougth an old PC for 40 bugs on ebay which runs the EMC2 software. Additionally i added 2 PCI parallel port cards and two serial port cards which is alwas good to have when developing electronics.
The FPGA cards would work as well, but this is more for high end CNC-milling

May 12, 2011 07:15AM
Does it work all ok with 10pf caps across 16Mhz crystal? Why choosing 10pf? I am asking only because the value is somewhat small comparing with the other crystal caps i seen around (15-16-20-22pf).
May 12, 2011 07:54AM
That works fine, i usually used 22pf but i didnt have any at home so i tried the 10pF and it works fine as well. I think the value of the capacitors is not that important.

May 12, 2011 08:38AM
The capacitors plus the pin capacitance of the micro should match the load capacitance spec of the crystal, otherwise the frequency will be slightly different from the crystal spec.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 13, 2011 02:01AM
Hi
I am currently undertaking a prusa build and have yet to source electronics. I don't really understand the difference between all these different controllers (ramps, gen3, gen6) and using EMC2. How does EMC2 communicate with the stepper motors? How much electronics is required? What are the pros and cons for controlling my machine with EMC2 or with for example RAMPS. What about costs is EMC2 cheaper?

Thanks
Matt
May 13, 2011 02:15AM
EMC2 controlls the steppers via direction/step pulses over the parallel port.
If you use this controller you dont need a mainboard. all the axis are managed by the pc.
The other electronix is just different Versions of the reprap electronix, the gen3 is the default, but its old, the new ones with the pololu are better. all these electronix have in common that teh interpolation of the axis is done in the microcontroller and the pc only sends the gcodes.
I had some gen3 electronix too, but the host is really buggy and the communikation too, so i replaced them with EMC2, now everything is fine.

May 13, 2011 07:36AM

EMC2 controlls the steppers via direction/step pulses over the parallel port.

What hardware is required between the parallel port and the stepper motors?

Cheers
Matt
May 13, 2011 03:49PM

the host is really buggy and the communikation too, so i replaced them with EMC2

EMC2 has undoubtly it's advantages, but for solving the communications problem a different G-Code sender whould have been sufficient winking smiley

What hardware is required between the parallel port and the stepper motors?

See first post.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 13, 2011 09:34PM

All you need is these electronix and 4 stepper drivers

The steppers are directly connected to EMC2

I am assuming that the above means that your parallel port is connected to stepper drivers then the stepper drivers are connected to the stepper motors.
What hardware (stepper drivers) are you using between the parallel port and the stepper motors.

Cheers
Matt
May 14, 2011 01:15AM

I am assuming that the above means that your parallel port is connected to stepper drivers then the stepper drivers are connected to the stepper motors.

This assumption is correct, The board above makes up for the remaining required functionality, like temperature control.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login