Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing Teensylu

Posted by StephS 
Introducing Teensylu
April 30, 2011 09:14PM
The Teensylu is a fork of the Sanguinololu project. It's original goal was to simply replace the atmega644p Microcontroller with the AT90USB1286 Microcontroller used in the Teensy++. We quickly realized the the extra I/O the AT90USB1286 provides can give us some more functionality without loss of compatability with Sanguinololu. The Teensylu was designed with SMT devices in mind. Many people find that SMT can be quicker to assemble as you don't need to flip the board over to solder parts into place, and you don't need to cut any component leads. SMT components also ease in automation, like an inevitable pick and place attachment. We choose 0805 components so this board would be friendly to newcomers to SMT devices.
The layout of the board changed from Sanguinololu 1.1, to where all of the power input plugs are now on the right side of the board. This moved the thermistor inputs next to the heater outputs. In most cases this would be thought as preferred, however, the noise from the PWM on the heaters may be picked up by these inputs, so the wiring of the thermisistors shoulld be kept seperated from the heater wiring.

New features have been added:
  • Stepper drivers have seperated enable inputs. This enables the firmware devs to shut off unused motors to save power
  • PWM Fan output. This is a 2 pin header with a 12v PWM output controlled by the Microcontroller. It supports a MAX of 5 amps or 2 watts.
  • Spare I/O header. All Spare I/O not used in the Sanguinololu compatable expansion header have been broken out into a header. This is for you types who love to hack something on (perhaps a LCD display?)
  • New endstop called "E-Stop". My Favorite. This is a new "endstop" header for generalized use. It's goal it to be used as a stop for checking end of filiment, or as an emergency stop button.

You can view the wiki at: [reprap.org]
A partslist is still being made. The board and schematic are up on Github. Current Rev 0.43 is untested, pending some verification. Use at your own risk.

Thanks to Joem and Maxbots for making this happen, without you guys this project wouldn't be where it is today. Thanks to Kliment for the feature requests and verification. And a special thanks to Dayah for putting up with me while I spent countless hours designing this.

-Stephanie
Re: Introducing Teensylu
May 04, 2011 02:53AM
Nice bit of work, Stephanie!smiling bouncing smiley

Be sure to wave it at the secret cabal the official developers mailing list:
http://reprap.org/mailman/listinfo/reprap-dev

(It's compulsory, since you're an official developer. grinning smiley)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 06, 2011 11:54AM
This looks pretty good. The addition of the ATAT90USB1286 for native USB is really smart. I personally am interested in this design without the 'lu' - either integrating the stepper drivers directly (you are already using smt design) or as separate driver modules to allow replacement. This would allow more current per driver and save money if done right. Also a micro sd would be a nice onboard addition.

I tried to d/l your source files from git but the data is invalid in eagle. Thoughts?

B
May 06, 2011 12:51PM
Make sure you're using the latest version of Eagle. I'm using 5.11.0 Light. I just downloaded the files and it worked. hmm.

The Teensy and Teensy++ are microcontroller dev boards produced by PJRC seen here: [www.pjrc.com]
My board is based off their core design. The Polulu controllers were chosen because it's a known interface, and it's mostly available. In the future I plan on making a new interface and stepper driver, something more robust and more modular.

Current version 0.6 fixes some more bugs, and a few changes of some nets. I have sent this version out to be built, I expect the PCB to arrive in a week. After it is verified, I will release all of the files onto the Wiki. A BOM has yet to be built, I ordered my parts from several different suppliers to sove some costs. I found it cheaper to buy my MCU's from ARROW as well as the mosfets and a few other components, and other components I purchased from Mouser, and the Pin headers I purchased in bulk from Ebay.
In QTY of 10 boards, it's easy to get the cost below 30$ per board (full kit minus Polulu)
May 06, 2011 10:39PM
Yep, went to 5.11 just in case I had an older version compatibility issue but still get an invalid data error. I'll try a few more things and see what happens.

I've never used the teensy library but I imagine it should work fairly well to port some firmware over to it with minor(?) changes? Have you tried this yet?

I can see that parts cost isnt that bad on this design thanks to the internal USB. Which is partially why I'd also like to see the drivers incorporated. Im kind of partial to the A3979 just for the extra little bit of amperage. Depending on which driver you use you could drop the cost of the entire setup $20. Better to spend on beer!

Im also partial to 0603 and don't find those anymore intimidating for noobs really. I once taught an smt workshop on soldering 0402 to a bunch of artists and designers and it went reasonably well.

Im excited to see how this works out - keep everyone posted!

B
May 07, 2011 04:05AM
I personally solder 0402 and 0201 components. I also do QFN and lots of other fun things by hand. For real USB compliance some of the components should be 0402 and smaller traces. 0603 might be a good comprimise, I am contemplating making another version which would add some of the often requested features like a 5th stepper controller, dual endstop, and SD support, though that would require a new board layout and I would need to break the compatability with Sanguinololu to do so (I guess the expansion header wouldn't be as necessary if everything is on the board).
I'm actually looking into turning an ATTiny84 into a stepper motor controller. Some may think it's a step backwards, but I think with the right design you can have an awesome controller thats fully programmable.
Sorry I'm not sure why you can't open the files. Are you downloading the entire Zip off of Github?
May 07, 2011 04:30PM
Got it working finally - I guess I was being dumb. The design looks great, I wish I had more time to play around with it. Ive been running a cupcake in one of my art classes this semester with mixed results and would like to see some new electronics that fix all of the goofy things about each and every design thats out there that could work for both makerbots and repraps. Out of the viable alternatives yours with the ATAT90USB1286 makes a lot of sense.

Im interested in a roll your own approach for stepper drivers but that might introduce some added weirdness or complexity... but it might save some cash too. If you went to separate stepper drivers that interface through cables to the mainboard (yes I know makerbot style) then that could allow for some plug and play changes to be made without changing the entire mainboard.

Ill keep an eye on your project and whenever I get a moment to breath from this book Im writing Ill see what I can contribute.

B

(BTW, mad props for early adoption of the OSH logo!)
May 08, 2011 08:42AM
OSH Logo was contributed by Joem, he put it on Sanguinololu 1.1, so it copied over. smiling smiley
I also like remote stepper drivers, though it does increase the amount of wires running around the machine (not by much). In it's best configuration, the stepper drivers should be mounted nearby to the motors (even on the motors themselves).
I'll be working on getting the BOM compiled soon. smiling smiley
firmware
June 29, 2011 02:18PM
Hey StephS

I also currently designing RepRap electronics bases on the AT90USB1286. I am using the Teensy schematics, the Teensy loader/ compiler and the RepRap Gen7 board as a basis, but I'm also adding much extras like more optos, build in 12V to 5V converter, etc.
I really like the idea of USB native, because all our computers use USB ports and have no serial ports anymore, why bother with the converting of serial to USB, when it isn't necessary. This way you save a lot on the costs and the part count.

But I am currently struggling with the firmware. I am trying to adapt the Gen 7 firmware and add the extra features, but the Teensy compiler isn't excepting the RS485 jack and it's functions. Deleting all these functions is kind of a struggle to do and the firmware is getting kind of messy.
How did you solve this problem and which firmware did you use as a basis?

Webfp
June 30, 2011 03:21AM

This way you save a lot on the costs and the part count.

You save a bit on parts, but make the board non-replicatable, i.e. more expensive.

I am trying to adapt the Gen 7 firmware and add the extra features

Uhm, there is no Gen7-specific firmware. Gen7 runs FiveD and Teacup, and probably Sprinter with proper pin adjustments.

Teacup firmware apparently has been adapted to these USB-aware ATmegas already, so this might be a good starting point.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 07, 2011 05:26PM
Did a batch of boards ever get made? Is someone selling them?
March 15, 2012 02:54PM
We have 10 Teensylu -0.7 boards here at Hackerspace Charlotte, one has been tested through stepper motion. We may print with it soon.
6 others are being built as a group activity.
March 15, 2012 03:23PM
So does that mean you'd like to sell me one? grinning smiley
September 24, 2015 09:06PM
on the reprap wiki page it says "Selectable 12v/5v endstop voltage"
how would one select said voltage?
trying to make auto bedcalibration work with repetier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 09:08PM by Pekkie85.
September 24, 2015 10:48PM
Take a close look at [reprap.org]

Above the e-stop plug is 3 pads, labled 12v,5v and under it Endstop voltage
If you look really close you can see the 5v is connected to the middle pad, to change it you need to cut this track and put a solder blob from the 12v to the center pad. It all or nothing though.. all endstops at one voltage.

DO NOT SHORT ALL 3 PADS. this will result in connecting 12v to 5v and killing the board and probbaly your USB port.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 10:48PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login