Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I use 12 stepper motors on a Azteeg x3 or x5 ?

Posted by mickael 
Can I use 12 stepper motors on a Azteeg x3 or x5 ?
April 17, 2018 08:55AM
Hello, everyone

I wanted to know if it is possible to use 12 stepper motors on a Azteeg x3 or x5?
I know it's a lot, but I would like to drive my Z axis with 4 motors knowing that the machine I intend to build will be big.
If that is possible, could you tell me how?
Thank you in advance
Re: Can I use 12 stepper motors on a Azteeg x3 or x5 ?
April 17, 2018 02:22PM
mickael
Hello, everyone

I wanted to know if it is possible to use 12 stepper motors on a Azteeg x3 or x5?
I know it's a lot, but I would like to drive my Z axis with 4 motors knowing that the machine I intend to build will be big.
If that is possible, could you tell me how?
Thank you in advance

Two Z motors is one mistake, 4 is 3 mistakes.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 18, 2018 08:11AM
That is just silly...

Use much bigger steppers!

April 18, 2018 01:23PM
Three Z stepper motors can be a sensible choice. The motors may get out of sync when you power them down and up again, but if you have a good Z probe and the right firmware, then after homing you can have the firmware probe 3 or more points and then adjust the motors independently to level the bed. There is some discussion of this at [forum.seemecnc.com].

The problem with using four Z motors is that three points define a plane, so using four only make sense if the bed is flexible enough to twist a little. A bed that flexes that much is in general undesirable, but in a very large printer it may be inevitable. I know of two people who use four Z leadscrews and then have the firmware adjust them independently to level the bed. RepRapFirmware and Repetier both have the facility to do this type of levelling with four leadscrews (as well as lower numbers of leadscrews). I don't know whether Marlin, Smoothieware or other firmwares do.

The more common solution is to use a single motor with a belt and pulleys to drive all the leadscrews.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 19, 2018 02:02AM
Hello

Thank you very much for your quick answers and for your advice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login