Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to use a 12V 20A Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply

Posted by unicoder 
How to use a 12V 20A Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply
April 22, 2011 12:30AM
I just got my 12V 20A Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply from ebay and I guess I'm in a little over my head now. I searched and searched for resources on the web and in the forums but apparently everyone else somehow just knows how to use these things. confused smiley
My main question is how on earth am I supposed to hook it up to the wall socket? I assumed it would just plug into the wall, but apparently I have to make my own plug? I guess at some point I'll also have to figure out how to wire the RAMPS board to it, but for now I really just want to power it up so I can make sure it's working.
Can anyone help answer these questions for me? And please don't assume I have "scrap" anything just lying around in my shop. I live in an apartment winking smiley
Re: How to use a 12V 20A Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply
April 22, 2011 03:14AM
You need to use a three core mains cable and a plug. The first three terminals will be labelled something like L N and E (or an earth symbol). They need to be connected to live, neutral and earth in the plug using the correct coloured wires depending where you live. Brown, blue and green / yellow in the UK. I think black and white, green in the US.

The easiest way is to buy a complete mains lead and cut off the equipment end, saving you the hassle of wiring the plug.

It is a good idea to make a cover to cover the connections, especially if you have children or animals, as this type of PSU is intended to be inside equipment, not exposed.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 22, 2011 11:38AM
Thank you for the perfect explanation. I thought I might have actually had a computer cable laying around that I could use, but I looked and I don't. I'm looking at this one on amazon(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQMOS4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=) but it says 13A. Is that OK even though my supply is 20A?
April 22, 2011 12:32PM
Yes that will be OK. The output current of the PSU is 20A but that is at 12V so the input current at 120V will be roughly one tenth of that, i.e. 2A.

May 03, 2011 05:12PM
Can you help me interpret the rest of these symbols?

My understanding from left to right:
Live, Neutral, Ground, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??, ??
May 03, 2011 06:45PM
The three marked +V are the 12V output and three marked COM are the 0V return.

+V Adj is a preset potentiometer to tweak the output voltage.

May 03, 2011 07:05PM
So I should connect a V+ to the + on the RAMPS board and a COM to the -?
May 03, 2011 07:36PM
thanks everyone. this was quite helpful!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login