Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[NEW] OVM20 Lite, a simple board for lowcost printers

Posted by staticboards 
[NEW] OVM20 Lite, a simple board for lowcost printers
October 05, 2017 03:29AM
Hello!

My name is Javier Loureiro, and for the last couple of years, I was assembling and selling the RAMPS 1.4 SB.

During those years, I got many questions from new users: which driver should i use? is it my arduino mega good? how do I plug the drivers?

So, I had the idea of a new board, that tries to simplify the basic 3d printer kit. It is not a "competitor" for other boards with more features. It is a board that will do the basics, but it will do it very well, at a fair price.

Best features:

- Full compatible with Marlin. No need for special drivers and configurations. You setup marlin like RAMPS 1.4, and it works. It works with the default setup from github. Download and upload (obiusly, you need to tune your printer anyway).

- Easy to assemble. One single purchase, with less options, missunderstandings, etc. It is ideal for kits, schools, workshops, etc.

- Powerful mosfets with extreme low internal resistance. They keep about 50ยบ celsius (tested in sevilla, spain, during summer). The board is simple, but powerful.

- Branded Molex, no cheap dangerous power connectors. You can print for hours, days and months.

- 4 copper layers: better heat dissipation, longer life.

- Beautiful design!! black pcbs with blue leds are gorgeous smiling smiley

I understand, (and I agree) that most of the makers will prefer more options, expansions, and hacking choices. But imagine a school, a workshop, or a shop that sells basic kits. In that case, I belive that the ovm20 lite is a fantastic and reliable alternative.

We assemble the board in Spain. Here we have a small pick and place and we assemble and test everything here, step by step.

Here you have the full list of features [www.staticboards.com]

and we are today on hackaday! [hackaday.com] the board fits perfectly for a prusa steel, and the author decided to talk about the experience on the blog. That is why we decided to post more information here.

If you like to try it, we have the board available on tindie: [www.tindie.com]

I am 100% sure that you would do it on some other way, but I tried to keep the project simple and compatible. Hope you like this idea too!
Re: [NEW] OVM20 Lite, a simple board for lowcost printers
October 05, 2017 06:08AM
I don't mean to demean your efforts; but why did you design yet another board using the same tired old atmega2560 architecture, when it would have cost you less to use an ARM Cortex M4 processor, and the resulting board would have been far more capable?

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
October 05, 2017 08:56AM
dc42, I don't know of any decent $37 32bit boards. do you? I'd love to see one.
October 05, 2017 08:58AM
yes, I have the idea of a board with 32bits for a more "pro" version. I think that we need a better technology right now.

but at this point, marlin with the atmega chip is a stable platform, and there is a lot of very good documentation.

I think that there is space for both products. That is why we use the name "lite" for this board.
October 05, 2017 11:45AM
staticboards
yes, I have the idea of a board with 32bits for a more "pro" version. I think that we need a better technology right now.

but at this point, marlin with the atmega chip is a stable platform, and there is a lot of very good documentation.

I think that there is space for both products. That is why we use the name "lite" for this board.

I suggest you stop worshipping the false god Marlin.

Marlin served the 3D printing community well when we only had 8-bit platforms. Now it's a dinosaur. It still has an archaic system that requires you to edit the firmware source, recompile and upload firmware to make changes. It still uses the Bresenham approximation, which was designed for drawing images on pixelated screens, and is arguably OK for slow-moving CNC machines but fails to provide smooth movement on 3D printers. It still doesn't compute the step timings for acceleration and deceleration phases accurately. It still generates segmented movement when controlling delta printers. It doesn't provide a web interface. It doesn't provide least-squares autocalibration for delta printers, or for calculating adjustments to bed levelling screws.

What the Marlin devs should have done at least two years ago was to create a separate source tree for a 32-bit version, so that they could make use of the power and more importantly the additional RAM provided by 32-bit processors. But they didn't (although there is at least one 32-bit fork). I realise that the Marlin devs have in many respects done an excellent job of supporting 8-bit platforms given the limited resources they provide, but they have singularly failed to move with the times.

Even in the 8-bit firmware space, Repetier is better than Marlin in important respects. It has a standard web-based tool to generate the config file. Until very recently, it was the firmware of choice for owners of delta printers with 8-bit electronics, because Marlin was so bad at controlling delta printers (leading to stuttering) and didn't provide sufficient delta calibration parameters (the RC fork of Marlin had a form of auto calibration, but it didn't always work and the fork wasn't maintained).

There are two excellent firmwares for 32-bit processors: RepRapFirmware and Smoothieware. Both are being developed actively. I don't think you will find a user of either of those firmwares who would voluntarily go back to Marlin - they are so much easier to use.

There is certainly room in the market for a 'lite' board - meaning a board with e.g. 4 stepper drivers rather than 5 and limited expandability - but 'lite' doesn't have to mean crippled i.e. putting in a MORE EXPENSIVE aging 8-bit processor plus a separate USB-to-serial converter chip, instead of a modern and cheaper 32-bit ARM processor.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant, but as a professional electronics design engineer I find it crazy that someone chooses to design a system around a obsolescent 8-bit processor costing more than twice as much as a modern ARM processor, especially when firmware for the 32-bit chip is already available. If I did a design like that for an employer, I'd be sacked.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
October 05, 2017 11:55AM
obelisk79
dc42, I don't know of any decent $37 32bit boards. do you? I'd love to see one.

I would love to see a good low-cost 32-bit board too, but nobody seems to have produced a good, low cost, open source 32-bit design - even though it would be cheaper to manufacture than the current 8-bit designs. It isn't worth a professional designer like me designing one, because if it isn't successful then I won't cover my costs, and if it is then it will get cloned by Chinese manufacturers and I won't be able to make a living out of it, even though people will still expect me to support it.

In fact I did most of the design for a low cost 32-bit board in early 2015, and the design (with PCB not fully routed) is in my github repository. I gave up on it when $50 32-bit boards started to appear. But that design is out of date now, because technology has moved on in those 2+ years.

VDX
October 05, 2017 11:55PM
@dc42 - aren't you a bit too negative?

I'm using Marlin4Due with RADDS since 2 years now for pastedispensing and laser-engraving without problems and with up to 400mm/s moving speeds ...

Viktor
October 06, 2017 02:10AM
Thank you for your opinions, andI understand your point.

But I see that the world is big enough, and we all are different. People have different interests and objectives in life. The power of the community is to help others with their different needs.

As I said, not everybody needs a new full featured board. And the fact is that we already sold hundreds of OVM20 lite here in Spain. So, definitively, there is a demand for this kind of electronics.

This board is easy, and well supported because it works perfectly with marlin. There are a lot of good tutorials for arduino, and marlin, and that is a great value for the community. It has powerful mosfets and reliable connectors, and that is a real and needed point. You will have less problems, and you will save time.

We are following the 32bits developments, and I am sure that we will release a new powerful 32bits board in the future.

thank you.
October 06, 2017 07:22AM
VDX
@dc42 - aren't you a bit too negative?

Perhaps... but I think he has missed a great opportunity. If he can make atmega2560 boards in Spain and sell them for $37, he could make make a 32-bit ARM Cortex M4 board with the same drivers and expansion capacity (no networking) and sell them for about $34 with the same profit, which would open up a whole new market. Or add WiFi and still keep the price below $37.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 07:23AM by dc42.

October 07, 2017 03:56AM
He'd certainly get some of my money at those prices.
October 07, 2017 09:46AM
Hmm, I don't see fuses?! Are they SMD or did you forget them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login