Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Controlling Solenoid Valve signal

Posted by JoshuahMG 
Controlling Solenoid Valve signal
July 25, 2017 06:59PM
Hi there,

I have been designing a 3D printer that's on the same infrastructure as Prusa i3. However, I am not sure how to use my new extruder, which is a pressure-based solenoid valve.

Essentially, the valve is powered by a Spike and Hold, not a PID like Prusa i3 is. This spike and hold requires 24 V in the first millisecond and then 5 V for the hold voltage. As you already know, Arduino cannot exceed 24 V or else it will burn out the circuit. In addition, the Marlin software that powers this model is for PID.

My question is this: how can I redesign the printer for the solenoid signal without damaging the Arduino?
VDX
Re: Controlling Solenoid Valve signal
July 25, 2017 07:33PM
... set a driver between ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 28, 2017 03:45PM
What kind of driver?

I am creating my own schematic that contains a FET, Resistor, and Zener or Flyback Diode. Would that work?
VDX
July 28, 2017 06:57PM
... this could be as simple, as a resistor, defining the "hold" current, and a capacitor for the starting high current pulse - switched so my first XY-plotter pen-lowering solenoids.

Or read about "chopper" drivers -- some of the stepper-drivers (especially half-bridges) have a similar current curve, so you can use one of the ports for your solenoid ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login