Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to connect Rumba Board to PC

Posted by thomas.p 
Unable to connect Rumba Board to PC
April 13, 2017 10:29AM
Hi,
I just purchased a new Rumba board a few days ago, I uploaded Marlin to it and everything was working fine.
A few days later, I decided to upload a modified version of Marlin but i couldn't get to connect the Rumba with my PC (the light Tx and Rx stayed "on" all the time).
I tried to set the power jumper in "USB powered" position, then placed a jumper slightly on the two pins Reset and Ground, connect the USB (the Tx and Rx light was off) but when i took out the jumper from the reset, the les Tx and Rx came back continuously on.
I tried with different USB cables (i have another Rumba board which is working just fine with my computer and the same usb cable) and i even tried to solder a new cable to the 4 pins usb next to the mini usb without any luck...
I'm out of idea sad smiley , so if someone could help me, i would be very greatfull!
Thanks!
Re: Unable to connect Rumba Board to PC
April 13, 2017 01:33PM
easiest thing first...
did you by any chance use repetier-server?
def. settings are server... so it connects to server automaticity as soon as you plug it in.
you have to first stop server, then it should connect to any other program....
April 13, 2017 06:24PM
Nop, only connected once the Rumba to the computer (the first time I uploaded Marlin) and never used other program than Arduino
April 14, 2017 01:41PM
If I have an LCD attached to my Rumba, I can't run Pronterface or Octoprint, but I can upgrade firmware.
April 14, 2017 06:22PM
I assume you did the firmware update using the USB connection.
You can try to do the update using the ISP or JTAG connection (if you have the required hardware). Those interfaces will tell you if they can talk to the chip or if the CPU has died.

For update using USB the main CPU needs to have the arduino bootloader. The Arduino bootloader is active only in the first 1 second after reset. Do a reset and look at the leds. do they behave differently right after reset?

Try reseting the rumba manually right before starting the firmware update.

Good luck!
April 18, 2017 03:46AM
Thanks!
Yes I did it using the USB connection.
For ISP connection, does a "Arduino ISP" would work for the Rumba? (I do not have any Arduino Board, so I was thinking about buying this one)
If I understand well, I need to connect the "Arduino ISP" to the computer and to the Rumba ISP ATmega2560, get on Arduino IDE and then Programmer -> Arduino ISP select Tools -> Burn Bootloader and it will directly burn again the Bootloader?
Do i need to do the same with the ISP 16U2?
What about the .hex file that can be found on [www.reprap.org] ? (One for the ATmega2560 and one for the 16U2)
April 18, 2017 08:11PM
@thomas.p I'm sorry, but I'm not an arduino expert. My understanding is that the Rumba is the same as an Arduino 2560 as seen from Arduino Studio. But I was never able to flash the boot loader using the Arduino IDE. I could do it using Atmel Studio. And it should work with ISP or JTAG adapters that work with avrdude.

Maybe someone else can shed a bit of light on this?
April 19, 2017 03:01AM
Is it possible you've accidently changed the Baud-rate when flashing the new firmware?
I got my Rumba board working without bootloader flashing and such. I only had to install Rumba's USB-driver...
April 19, 2017 04:30AM
@JustAnotherOne I ordered the "Arduino ISP" it should arrive before the end of the week, i'll keep in touch with what i can do with the boot loader

@o_lampe I did change the Baud-rate to 115200, but using Repetier and entering this Baudrate I still cannot connect to my Rumba... (Tried to install the driver again and again still nothing...) I think working with the ISP should help me *finger crossed*
May 12, 2017 08:02AM
Thanks @JustAnotherOne
My USB is still not working (I'd like to try to boodload the 16U2 when I have time, i think it might be the problem) but thanks to the Arduino ISP I've been able to upload Marlin to my Rumba (That's mainly what i was looking for)
May 14, 2017 08:59AM
I will follow with interests. I have a Dead Rumba board. that will not connect with USB. This is my second Rumba board, the other one board had bad solder joints on the Stepper driver jumper pins.
cheers
September 30, 2018 10:59AM
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I know this is an old thread but in my search for a solution for the same problem, I eventually found a solution that no one else seemed to mention so thought I have to post it somewhere in a hope it will help others.

After 2 days of being unsuccessful with the Arduino Software and even with 'XLoader' trying all the recommended steps of reloading software, resetting the Rumba board etc, I had to start thinking outside of the box.

I was positive that I had the correct Board selected and the correct port. I had also loaded the correct USB RUMBA software.

After giving up with the Arduino program, consistently getting the 'Time out" message I then tried with the free program "XLoader" but even here the RUMBA board would sit with the RX flashing every 10 seconds or so and after a very long wait I found that the program had hung up. After rebooting the computer and the board, it got me thinking for other solutions that had not been posted yet.

The answer that worked for me was the following. (Sorry this is a Windows 7 solution but I am sure it will help with other OS's as well.)

Windows - Go to 'Start Menu'
Go to 'Device Manager'
Select the port that is your Arduino/Rumba board (in my case it was Com 8)
Right click on the port and select "Properties"
select the 'Port Settings' tab
change 'Flow Control' from none to "Hardware"

After making the change and reloading XLoader, suddenly all the TX and RX lights on the RUMBA board lit up like November 5th. Oh Joy.

I then went back to the Arduino Program and tested this and it worked as well.

So it seems that the port is trying to do basic flow control hand shaking and this is why the Arduino software eventually times out giving the errors as posted by other contributors to this forum.

The clue that helped me reach this conclusion is that with the 'XLoader' program running, I noted that the RX led on the RUMBA would flash every 10 seconds or so which made me suspect that the board was waiting for something. I can vaguely remember things about 'Clear To Send' and 'Request To Send' from back when using old dial up modems to connect to the world.

I really hope this helps someone else. If it does, please post back here to let others know that it worked.
December 14, 2018 12:55PM
Thank you this help me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login