Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS v1.5 or Duet Wifi for CoreXY

Posted by jpt000 
RADDS v1.5 or Duet Wifi for CoreXY
March 27, 2017 11:32AM
Hello all, sorry if this has been discussed before.
I am in the process of building my second reprap, this time a corexy using some 2020 extrusion and recycling a bunch of really nice linear rails I rescued from machines that were going to the dump at work. I was thinking of going 24V for this one and initially single extruder but with the possibility of going with 2 or more.
I have spent the last couple of weeks reading about boards and stepper drivers and the more I read the more undecided I am and was hoping putting this out here would help me decide.
- I would like to go SilentStepSticks either TMC2130 or TMC2660
- I would prefer 32bits
- not too worried about network as I have a bunch of raspberry pis lying around and can use them as Octoprint server.
I have narrowed down to two contenders: RADDS v1.5 or Duet Wifi. Can anyone give me a good reason for the £30+ difference in price?
Thanks for your input!
Re: RADDS v1.5 or Duet Wifi for CoreXY
March 27, 2017 01:33PM
You'll have better firmware support for the Duet Wifi, or if you wait for the Duet Ethernet board that DC42 is working to release. DC42 does an amazing job with bug fixes and new features for RepRapFirmware along with the large support group on here and the Duet3d.com forums.

He has only just started releasing untested versions of RepRapFirmware for the RADDS boards.
March 27, 2017 02:58PM
OK, that sounds like a tangible difference. But wouldn't one expect RRP on RADDS to reach the level of the Duet version in a fairly short term? Don't get me wrong... I'm trying to argue against the Duet because I really want one! But I would like to make sure the price difference is worth it. If I understand correctly, with RRP installed they are very similar boards (albeit the RRP for RADDS being still an early version).
Thanks!
March 27, 2017 03:59PM
They are really the same firmware side .. the new stuff on reprap firmware is often some special stuff only use by few, and we also got them on radds now. Myself im on last october firmware release By Dnewman and I dont feel I miss anything from new release. But yeah DC42 did not officially take the radds support so there some chance we end up with no update one day.

The difference are in the board.. radds got 6 driver out of the box ( here go your 2 more you maybe want to add), 4 temps output, can also use panel due if needed. duet is wifi and have webserver and have now a litte bit faster MCU but all in one board. Its really depend if you like all in one or prefer a modular setup.

There more than £30 difference between the two, duet is more expensive and radds price can vary between original due or clone due or cheap driver or raps128 ( btw the only good driver so far are raps 128 ( and other 6128 like) and tmc 2660 the tmc21xx have report of very low torque and difficult setup, check general forum there a post on them there).

Both are good board, for me it was the removable stepper that make me decide and also the fact that when I chose my radds the duet had only 1/16 micro stepping.
March 27, 2017 05:21PM
Thanks GroupB,
just checked on Oozenest and by the time you add up the raps128, due and radds you get to the price of the Duet Wifi. The removable drivers are a definite plus, but at the same price I think the TMC2660 might have be slightly better (if only for the silence). Plus the added bonus of the wifi and the web interface - no need for an octopi.
March 28, 2017 04:07AM
I've lately hit another wall with RADDS: USB and SD-card are very slow compared to Duet boards. I use it for laser engraving with huge data files. You may not notice it when CoreXY printing.
Also the OctoPi GUI has some disadvantages against ChrisHamms Web interface.

OTOH, I'm happy with the plugin sockets for the drivers. I have the chance to upgrade to new drivers, while Duet 0.6 or 0.85 users are screwed.
Only DuetWifi has state_of_the_art drivers and it's hard to imagine, they will be outdated soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 04:08AM by o_lampe.
March 28, 2017 12:10PM
The duet will be perfect if the board had no driver on it but only like 6 socket and mosfet for the xtra 2 extruder, a little like the radds but with the mcu/usb/wifi or ethernet on the same board, Then you sell some driver board ( like a full board with drivers( better cooling) but with the pin that match the separate socket on the main board). From there you sell 4-5-6 driver option or even different brand and futur driver if pinout match and if the user want to use they own plug in driver, it use the main board without any driver board on top. Off course you make the socket compatible for plug in driver and add whatever xtra pinout require on the socket for current and stuff needed on those solder in driver.

Or dont allow the main board to have plug in driver if you use one large connector to force them to buy a plug in driver board if more sale needed I guess.

This way can drive the price down for the guy needed only 4 driver or the one with they own drivers, or even the guy that need 6 but dont care about 8+ (expansion board). It will also help with the upgrading if a new stepper driver come in the market, the choice between replacing a driver board only is a easy one but replace a complete board may not be that easy and some wont and stick with the old because of the price of an entire new board. Example not everyone jump from .6 or .8 duet to wifi but I bet if a driver board was available for those tmc driver many would have buy that board. so fewer sale of the main board but more sale of the driver board from people that would not switch entire board anyway.

Its just an idea, I like modular stuff smiling smiley

The duet is like a MAC with solder ram, Make it a PC where you can config and change your parts as needed smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 12:13PM by GroupB.
March 28, 2017 03:06PM
@GroupB, if you want to add another driver without the cost of adding a DueX2, then it is perfectly possible to connect a stepstick-type driver and capacitor to the expansion bus. Several users did this before the DueX2 and DueX5 were available. There is some info on how to do this at [duet3d.com]. Admittedly it's more difficult than plugging 6 drivers into RADDS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 03:07PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login