Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ROHS

Posted by Andrew Diehl 
ROHS
February 20, 2011 05:43PM
I'm working on a set of electronics integrating the arduino (atmega328) and 4 a4983 stepper drivers.

I'm in the USA, and am in charge of a small contract PCB assembly house. Until a few seconds ago I forgot how most of the people here seem to be EU based. Anybody know how they screen stuff for rohs coming in from other countries? I realize it's not kosher to sell leaded PCB's there but is there any problem shipping less than a dozen to people for testing? I'm assuming nobody would be the wiser but I figured i'd get input from someone across the pond.
Re: ROHS
February 24, 2011 11:59PM
I've mailed "leaded" boards from the US to Italy and Spain and never had any problems.
Either they are not screening for it, or I've gotten lucky several times now.
It would be nice is someone from the EU could answer the question though.
February 25, 2011 02:09AM
As far as i know, for any given parcel, if the declared value / invoice is less than like 20usd or euro or so, the package bypasses customs entirely. Above this minimal amount customs procedures and vat applies, although this minimal amount could differ from country to country - i dont really have a clue if its the same or not in all countries.

I have received quite abit of non-ROHS stuff and components (inluding rolls 250grams of lead solder) from US digikey and mouser, and never had any issues. The packlist from them says explicitly which item is or not rohs compliant. I didnt received any "naked" boards tho, only embeded in items like some pickit programmers etc, or I got usbtinyisp from makerbot which had the board separately to the kit components, but on the overall no issues. And i cant foresee any issues with just importing some boards.

If i may comment further, EU customs does not display 1% of the panic the US customs displays about random facts of life.

Cheers and good luck smileys with beer
February 25, 2011 09:42AM
Leaded solder isn't totally forbidden in the EU. For development or home use, it's still totally legal. If it weren't, you couldn't buy it here, after all.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 09, 2011 04:20PM
Leaded solder is still legal in the EU, for medical devices, aircraft industry, high power industrial products and any life critical devices...ect.

PCB's shouldn't get checked because its not a finished product.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login