Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi overheat problem

Posted by sprue 
Melzi overheat problem
January 13, 2017 12:00PM
I have a Melzi V2.0 running for about 3 years now, and I was doing some printing today, and I noticed what appears to be an overheating problem where the main power enters the board. I attach a photo.

The screw terminal block has melted, but the PCB itself looks OK. I have now unsoldered the block ready for replacement.

The PCB is on a RepRapPro Mendel 2 (Tricolour) - though I do not yet have the extra 2 extruders fitted and running.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this ?

What could have caused it ? Arcing internally ? Faulty solder joint ?
Attachments:
open | download - m4.jpg (526 KB)
Re: Melzi overheat problem
January 13, 2017 07:14PM
You dont put soldered wires into those connectors, it forms a blob or weird shape and the contact only touches the bloby bits. Then all power flows threw the tiny contact area of the blob and heats up.
January 14, 2017 01:34AM
That's a common problem caused by tinning the ends of the stranded wire with solder before putting them in the terminal block. The solder creeps, so the screw becomes loose, you get a bad contact, and that generates a lot of heat.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 15, 2017 09:54AM
Thanks for the tip.

I won't tin the ends next time.
January 15, 2017 12:26PM
The correct way to terminate stranded core wire in a terminal block for high-current connections is to crimp bootlace ferrules on them.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login