Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RUMBA board SD card

Posted by Jan-Willem 
RUMBA board SD card
December 09, 2016 08:38AM
Hi guys,

At this moment I'm using a g3d RAMPS 1.4 board. As an upgrade I want to use a RUMBA board bought from ebay. I get everything working except for the SD card. At the moment I plug in a SD card the board freezes directly. With my RAMPS 1.4 board the lcd display always turns off and on when I plug in a SD card. I also made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrFDSzKi48
Yes I know the wiring is horrible at the moment eye rolling smiley
Any suggestions? For your information, I switched the exp 1 and 2 plugs and turned them 180 degrees. The software used on the RUMBA board is the latest marlin version.
Re: RUMBA board SD card
December 12, 2016 06:38PM
I think I finally know what is going on. The g3d exp pinout is different than the rumba pinout
g3d:

rumba:

due to the difference in pinout it forces activates a reset loop.

The full graphic display pinout looks much more compatible:

So I ordered that display and hopefully it will work.
December 13, 2016 12:13PM
If it works please let us know here. I'm about at the same stage you are.
thanks
December 13, 2016 12:19PM
I will give an update when the new LCD arrives.
January 02, 2017 12:25PM
The display finally arrived today. I'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow.
January 02, 2017 07:05PM
Please do I have not had any luck with it. It works fine on the RAMPS board, but not on RUMBA.
January 03, 2017 03:43AM
Well..... no sad smiley

When I plug in the full graphic controller and apply usb power to the rumba board windows doesn't recognize the board anymore. So this seems to be a hardware issue as well.. off coarse I included the u8glib library in the main page.. sometimes I get 4 white squares on the board with some extra random pixels and some pixels missing in the squares but that's it.
January 03, 2017 05:11AM
Did you remember to cross the ribbon cables so that so that EXP1 on the RUMBA board goes to EXP2 on the display and EXP2 to EXP1?

If so then try plugging in the display board to a RAMPS board. You will need the adapter for the RAMPS board.
At least that way if it works then you know that there is something going on with the RUMBA board.

I have also heard that not all Full Graphics boards will work with just USB power.
Mine dose but then when I turn on the power supply it gets noticeably brighter.

For basic function, I have both the RAMPS and RUMBA board using a Full Graphics boards. However on the RUMBA board the SD card dose not work.

It appears that the firmware for both boards uses pin # 53 to enable the SD card. But the RUMBA will not enable the SD card.

I am waiting for parts for the new printer so I will start playing around some more and keep you posted.
January 03, 2017 07:21AM

Did you remember to cross the ribbon cables so that so that EXP1 on the RUMBA board goes to EXP2 on the display and EXP2 to EXP1?
Of course I did. In the end I tried every possibility but no succes.

If so then try plugging in the display board to a RAMPS board. You will need the adapter for the RAMPS board.
At least that way if it works then you know that there is something going on with the RUMBA board.
I'll try it on my ramps board. Yes I have the adapter.

I have also heard that not all Full Graphics boards will work with just USB power.
Mine dose but then when I turn on the power supply it gets noticeably brighter.
Thanks, I'll try on power supply

For basic function, I have both the RAMPS and RUMBA board using a Full Graphics boards. However on the RUMBA board the SD card dose not work.

It appears that the firmware for both boards uses pin # 53 to enable the SD card. But the RUMBA will not enable the SD card.

I am waiting for parts for the new printer so I will start playing around some more and keep you posted.

yeah it is really strange. And it seems that not a lot of people are using the board so the support is not that great. keep me updated!
January 03, 2017 04:27PM
Ok, the good news is that I got it to work today.

Apparently pin #53 is the correct one.

Have you ever heard the term "Operator Error", well I have and I've done it more than once.

I am using Windows 10 on the computer.
When I format the SD card I have these options.
NTFS
Fat32
Fat
exFat- never heard of this one.

So I reformatted each one and copied a G-code SD card file over each time. I always used the same file.

The NTFS format was not recognized by either the RAMPS 1.4 or RUMBA board.
The Fat32 format was recognized by both the RAMPS and RUMBA board, but the file was not.
The Fat format was recognized by both the RAMPS and RUMBA board, but the file was not.
I did not even try the exFat format, since the other two worked.

Ok, I switched to the SD card menu I did not see the file that I copied over. So I took the card out and checked it and it was there just like I thought.
The only thing the SD card menu showed was
Main
(Rectangle) ..

The it occured to me, just because if recognized the card did not mean it read the card.
So I moved down to (Rectangle) .. and clicked on it, the file appeared. So if you don't see the file right away you need to select the sub directory so that the firmware will read the file list.
I then turned the printer off and let it set for a couple of minutes and then turned it on again. I left the SD card inserted. When the printer powered up to the basic info screen there was no "Card inserted" notice, I went ahead and clicked on the info screen and it showed "Print from SD" in the option list. When I thought about it, it made since.
Since I did not "inserted" the card, it did not show the message.

I only have the one SD card for now. Apparently it remembers the list until you tell it to read a new list by going thru the read procedure. So if you change SD cards or add / subtract files the card needs to be read again.

LCD I am using on both.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 04:32PM by kd6hq.
January 03, 2017 04:45PM
That's good news! Can I be so rude to ask you to share your marlin code?
January 03, 2017 05:31PM
Absolutely, I don't consider that rude at all.
Anything I can do to help I will. I have received a lot of help along the way.
Be advised I am using Marlin 1.1.0-RC7

I will be using a Diamond hot end with this printer so the extruder section is setup for it.
You will need to change it if you are not using one.
I do not have this printer fully operational yet so I have not verified the operation of the hot end yet. There may be more code to change.

I will include the RUMBA pins file as it has been changed to work with the Diamond hot end also. If you are not using the Diamond hot end do not use the pins file.

Line # 159 defines a mixing_extruder (Diamond)

I am building a Core XYZ printer, so that part has been activated also.
That is Line # 385

You may want to change Line # 129, it is the custom message sent to the information screen showing "CoreXY 12-18-16C" on the start up screen.

I think that is all but check the files, if you are using a Diamond - it could be that yours is better setup than mine is.
Attachments:
open | download - pins_RUMBA.h (4.3 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (51.9 KB)
January 03, 2017 05:36PM
I add the following for anyone whom may be following along.

January 03, 2017 07:33PM
It works!!! Thank you very much!smileys with beer
January 03, 2017 08:14PM
That's Great cool smiley

Are you considering using DVR8825 drivers?
January 04, 2017 06:03AM
Yes I do. But first things first and that is getting the machine running with the rumba board. Then getting the dual extruder working and possibly a third. If that's all working I'll look into better drivers. tmc2100 seems to be a good driver as well. But than it would be better to switch to duet wifi.... I'll keep dreaming grinning smiley
January 04, 2017 06:50AM
If the dual extruders will be separate devices then the hardest part is getting them aligned in the Z direction. Making sure the nozzle is at the same height might take you a little while but can be done.

When you do get to the DRV8825, be aware that they are rotated 180 degrees from the A4988. Just like the Ribbon cables on the display.
See [forums.reprap.org]

Notice that the voltage adjustment pot is at the top left in the picture. While on the A4988 the pot is at the bottom right-center.

They do work and will give you 1/ 32 stepping.
January 04, 2017 07:07AM
Yes getting everything aligned will be hard but very nice if it works! But I want to make it a bit more difficult by using a 1.75mm bowden system and a 3mm geared drive system. The reason is that I want to print flexible and stiff materials in one print so I can make morphing objects. I want to do this by manipulating the amount of steps for one of the extruder steppers in marlin so that repetier host can think that I have 2 filaments with the same diameter since it can't handle multiple.. Or am I missing something?
January 04, 2017 07:36AM
That is a good question. I do not know enough about it gearing to answer your question.
If you get it to work you should be able to come up with some really interesting printed objects.
January 04, 2017 12:36PM
It would be pretty cool if it works how I want.
January 05, 2017 03:42AM
Jan-Willem
It would be pretty cool if it works how I want.

Does Marlin allow you to specify different steps/mm for each extruder? Then it will work.

Can you overwrite these values with Gcode( M92 Exxxx:xxxx ? ) to change mixing ratio while printing?
January 05, 2017 05:21AM
Well, this looks like I can adjust all extruder's individually.

January 11, 2017 06:50AM
I finally had some time to change my ramps board for the rumba board and everything works!smiling smiley So I'm ready to print, still one extruder tho. I'm only noticing one strange thing and that there are sometime some strange artifacts on the screen. It looks like everything shifts to the left and the pixels that are then missing on the left are displaced on the right but then shifted up. Switching off and on helps. I can still use the board so it is just annoying winking smiley
January 11, 2017 01:43PM
Sounds like progress to me.
January 12, 2017 02:57AM
Do you have stable temp readings?
The LCD problem seems to indicate some cross talking on the board, maybe the ribbon cables need some shielding?
January 12, 2017 03:31AM
I have not paid any attention to the temperature readings, I'm not that far along yet.
It could be that shielding would help but I am not using any and the display seem fine to me.

On my other printer - RAMPS board - same display, same vendor, the display works fine.
The other printer has no shielding. Temperature is very stable on that printer.
January 13, 2017 04:08AM
Thanks, I'll try wrapping some aluminium foil around the cables.
January 26, 2017 06:41AM
Hi gents,
I just received my Rumba board and want to run a adapted version of Ramps-test software on it before diving into Marlin setup.

The pins_Rumba file attached from kd6hq above is pretty much unreadable, as is the configuration.h file.
Would you be so kind and tell me, what editor to use to read out the pin numbers?
January 26, 2017 11:10AM
You can use Notepad++, [notepad-plus-plus.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login