Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultratronics ethernet port

Posted by mikefazz 
Ultratronics ethernet port
October 07, 2016 06:52PM
So I am looking to replace one of my controllers (megatronics) which seems to have issues and move up to an Ultratronics controller. I have a RADDS setup on another printer but the ultratronics looks to have all I need in a single board (32bit, 3 extruders, 3 TC, ethernet)... actually more than I need.

I see the dev branch of repetier supports it which is the firmware I prefer to use...

My question is if I can put octoprint on it and forgo the need for a separate RPi.

I can't find any info on how to utilize the Ethernet connector on the Ultratronics. Is there some way to install octoprint on it?

The Duet route is a significant departure from my normal setup, has multiple boards, no direct TC support and would be about $100 more for what I need.

From what I can tell the RADDS and Ultratronics both run off of an Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 CPU but the arduino DUE doesn't break out the ethernet even though it is integrated into the CPU?

Mentioned here:
[www.hwmakers.eu]

So I wonder if there is a way to interface to the ethenet on the DUE and not need the separate RPi for that printer as well...

My guess is this would require a version of repetier with integrated web interface like the Duet which may be outside the repetier plan...
Re: Ultratronics ethernet port
October 09, 2016 08:26PM
My guess is this would require a version of repetier with integrated web interface like the Duet which may be outside the repetier plan...

Yes exactly.

In ARM there are Cortex-A and Cortex-M Processors. The processors on RasPi and boards like it are Cortex-A (A for Application). And you probably know that they are less powerful than your usual PC or Laptop.

The Cortex-M processors like the Cortex-M3 (M = Micro controller) are much less powerful than the Cortex-A processors. They are still more powerful than an 8bit Arduino. But they are closer to the 8bit Arduino than to the Cortex-A processors.

So a very simple Web interface is all you can manage on such a CPU. And even that will max it out. Don't expect MB/s performance for uploading, Video streaming or other fancy stuff.

So some people just think that this kind of low performance Interface is not worth the wile. Thats why not every 32bit board has an Ethernet interface even if they could.
Re: Ultratronics ethernet port
October 10, 2016 05:03AM
JustAnotherOne
So a very simple Web interface is all you can manage on such a CPU. And even that will max it out. Don't expect MB/s performance for uploading, Video streaming or other fancy stuff..

Most of that is not true. Yes video streaming is out, but the Cortex M3 provides a very good web interface with file upload close to 1Mbyte/sec on the Duet. It doesn't by any means max out the processor.

See [reprap.org] for more.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login