Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teensy 3.5/3.6 based 3d printer controller?

Posted by TbirdMan 
Teensy 3.5/3.6 based 3d printer controller?
October 03, 2016 03:20PM
Hey guys, I just got my Teensy 3.5 and 3.6 from the kickstarter, and I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth my time to look into building one into a 3d printer controller? I like the onboard uSD and USB host, it has plenty of IO including 2 DAC's. It has an FPU plenty of power for delta machines. and one potentially interesting feature of the 3.6 is the touch sensing inputs. Thoughts? I have a little experience with PCB design, and while the programming would be daunting in scope, it is nothing I haven't done on a smaller scale.

Link to the kickstarter:
[www.kickstarter.com]
Re: Teensy 3.5/3.6 based 3d printer controller?
October 03, 2016 10:49PM
Firmware is the issue

Although teensy 3.5/6 is arduino compatible most arduino based reprap firmware uses hardware registers making the code locked to the atmega range, marlin even has even inline assembler

There is also [github.com] an attempt to port marlin to teensy 3.1

Ive played with this a little, I got to the point of looking at Marlin/blob/RC/Marlin/stepper.cpp, this needs a total re write to work... which is beyond me.

I'm sort of hoping it may be smoothie compatible, but I have looked into this at all yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 11:20PM by Dust.
October 04, 2016 03:52AM
There is an old port for a teensy in teacup. This needs little rework but it shouldn't be so difficult.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
October 04, 2016 12:22PM
smoothieware would be nice, but to my understanding it is also pretty locked to it's intended hardware. Not impossible to rework, but again, alot of work required.

It would be nice to have a firmware that is more well supported like Marlin or Smoothieware.
October 04, 2016 03:49PM
You might find RepRapFirmware a little easier to port. It already runs on an ARM Cortex M4 processor, and the hardware abstraction layer is in a separate project called CoreNG that was originally derived from Arduino. It supports high speed 4-bit wide SD card access just like the Teensy hardware has, unlike every other firmware that I know of. There are only a few places in the main project where it does direct hardware access. So the main task would be to do a port of CoreNG to the new Teensy.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login