Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS, Due, and PanelDue

Posted by Eddiie 
RADDS, Due, and PanelDue
July 24, 2016 04:45PM
Hello!

First, I love RepRap for everything they have done. Amazing! Are there T-Shirts for sale?

That said, I have a delta printer (naturally already frustrated with calibration/leveling, + 3 color mixing), upgraded from a RAMPS to a RADDS and Due. After discovering the displays on the RAMPS boards would not work without hacking, lack of converter boards for the displays, etc, I wound up getting a PanelDue. The PanelDue is not a direct plug-in type display, it is basically a serial interface that connects to the serial port meant for bluetooth adapters. At least, that is my understanding.

Connecting the display to Serial1 on the RADDS board, adjusting baud rates, swapping tx and rx pins out of frustration has led to no where.

The Due has multiple ports, the bluetooth serial port is still Serial1, or a "1" in Rep firmware, right? Changing to 2, 3, no difference.

Also connected a ttl usb adapter to the RADDS board, retried multiple combinations of the above, can't get anything to show up. Frustrated, walked away a week ago, made some posts here and wait... The Wife is complaining about the mess on the Dining Room table, need some help with this please.

Problem 1:
PanelDue says "Connecting" at top of screen. Tried many different serial parameters in firmware with no success.
Attached usb serial port to computer terminal and RADDS, cannot get anything on screen, not even garbage. Tried many different serial parameters and pin settings with no success.
Connect usb serial port to other device and it works. - Please, I think we can rule out serial port settings, pin settings, or anything with the PanelDue itself. But that has to be where the problem is.

Problem 2:
SD Card - Getting an SD card into the RADDS after it has been mounted is very difficult. Nonetheless, after getting the SD card installed, the firmware (via Repetier-Host) reports SD fail. I forgot the actual message but it is detected, starts to read, then bombs. Unable to view files through the RADDS / Due / Rep -Host. Remove the card, place it into a PC, or another printer and it works fine. This SD card has been used many times on other devices and continues to be used without problem in other uses as time continues to move forward. It is not the SD card. Since I cannot recall the exact error, open to trying another card and capturing the details.

Problem 3:
I still really want to use the displays I already have. The Generic 'smart' controller and 'full' graphics display. The cheap ones that are replicated by the millions. Why pictures of expansion boards but not a single one for these 'generic' displays?

Luckily, got another printer to use and this has turned into a never-ending project. Sorry, Honey!

Thanks!
Re: RADDS, Due, and PanelDue
July 24, 2016 07:24PM
I think I've already replied to you by email, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this:

f you are using Repetier firmware, then unless things have changed since I last heard:

- You need to use the dev build, which includes the necessary support for the M408 command;

- You need to enable JSON-formatted responses in the firmware configurator.

Or you could use RepRapFirmware on your RADDS instead of Repetier.

Apart from mismatched baud rates and lack of firmware support, the usual cause of PanelDue being stuck in the "Connecting " state is that the transmit and receive wires in the cable are the wrong way round. The TxD pin on the electronics need to be connected to Din on PanelDue., and RxD on the electronics needs to be connected to Dout on PanelDue. The order of the pins on the PanelDue serial connector, starting from the pin nearest the edge of the board, is: Din Dout Gnd +5V.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 02, 2016 10:40PM
Hi,

So, I did not realize until now that there is a difference between Repetier and RepRap firmware. I also have a mini Kossel with Diamond head RADDS board and a Due which seems to be a not-so-common setup.

In regards to Repetier firmware, JSON is enabled. There is just nothing coming out the serial pins from what I can discover. Of course I swapped TX RX pins at every step. No way would I do all the other possible combinations and not swap pins too. Repetier guys mentioned they do not have a Paneldue display to test with. Recall seeing a branch of Repetier for the paneldue, it is not current. Can it be updated with the current code base? I've been around the block with the Repetier firmware getting things dialed in, would like to stick with this firmware. It works, just no display and needs a laptop connected to print.

In regards to RepRAP firmware, I can begin spending hours looking into this, getting it working and set with my printer but there are several branches and navigating seems to split at some point.
This page shows the branches - [reprap.org]

quote -

Configuration

If building your own machine, you shall first choose the Firmware fork you want to use. There are three up-to date forks available :
DC42 fork for Duet board

Chrishamm fork, derived from the DC42 fork and very close to it (Chrishamm develop the web interface)
Dan Newman fork, to be used with RADDS board, development stopped on April, 21, 2016.
Each fork propose a complete SD-card image, with files that you will adapt to your own machine, using any text editor.

--------

Well, the Dan Newman fork seems to be the right fork but it says development stopped on April 21. 2016.
Going to get the source, I see a picture of you. Then there are updates that seem recent. They are BIN files.
That is where I am at. Wondering what to do with the bin file.

Where to go from here?

Thank you!
August 03, 2016 03:06AM
Eddiie
Well, the Dan Newman fork seems to be the right fork but it says development stopped on April 21. 2016.
Going to get the source, I see a picture of you. Then there are updates that seem recent. They are BIN files.
That is where I am at. Wondering what to do with the bin file.

I'm currently running the RADDS 1.14 version of the .bin files. I have a Kossel XL and haven't felt the need to compile RRF on my own.
All you need is "bossac" to flash the firmware and the SD-card image from github. Bossac is part of the arduinoIDE, but it hides in one of the subfolders.

Once you've flashed and copied the SD-image on the SD card, you can update the firmware by copying the newest FW on the SD card and it will be uploaded automatically.
August 03, 2016 04:21AM
The last I heard was that the Edge build supports PaneDue, but that was several months ago. I supplied the Repetier devs with a free PanelDue controller board, and the tracking says it was delivered on 17 February this year. They would have needed to buy the display themselves because I don't supply the displays. I'll email the devs and ask what progress they have made.

Despite the fact that Dan's github page says that development of his RADDS fork has stopped, he has been updating it to keep it in sync with my fork. But I guess you can't rely on that going forward.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2016 04:24AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 08, 2016 07:26PM
I am giving up.
Ordered a Duet, hope to God this is the last controller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login