Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replace thermistor with MLX90614 on RUMBA board?

Posted by keveckes 
Replace thermistor with MLX90614 on RUMBA board?
July 18, 2016 09:33AM
Hello all,

I am building an SLS-like powder sintering system and want to monitor and control the temperature of the surface of a powder bed with contactless sensors. I am using halogen lamps to heat the surface of the powder, and would like to easily control the on/off of the lamps using the built-in PID extruder on/off control functions of the Marlin firmware with temperature input from a MLX90614 (from Adafruit) mounted above the powder surface. Ideally I would like to attach the MLX sensor to the I2C terminals of the RUMBA board and modify the Marlin firmware so that whatever function normally is called to get the extruder 2 temperature through the thermistor is replaced by a function (included in the Adafruit library for the sensor) to read the temperature from the MLX sensor.

I'm aware that something similar exists here but my understanding is that a separate controller was used for the temperature control. I'd like to keep everything running on the RUMBA board for simplicity and the ease of use with Repetier Host software.

Could anyone who is familiar with the workings of the Marlin code help me out with this so I can save several hours of trying to understand and modify the code?

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login