Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mapping G3 A,B,C,D motor connections to pololu 2B, 2A, 1A, 1B (My Answer is)

Posted by AgeingHippy 
Mapping G3 A,B,C,D motor connections to pololu 2B, 2A, 1A, 1B (My Answer is)
November 29, 2010 05:39AM
Hello all

The wiring for the G3 stepper motor drivers labelled A, B, C, D on the boards is the order

* A = blue,
* B = red,
* C = green,
* D = black.

Can anyone please tell me how these values map to 2B, 2A, 1A, 1B as found on the pololu boards?

Thanks

[edit]
15/12/2010 - For anyone with the same question - I have connected my as follows and it is working just fine.

2B - blue = A
2A - red = B
1A - black = D
1B - green = C

[/edit]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 05:05PM by AgeingHippy.
Re: Mapping G3 A,B,C,D motor connections to pololu 2B, 2A, 1A, 1B ??
November 29, 2010 08:48AM
Quoted from the pololu A4982 FAQ page.

How do I connect my stepper motor to the A4983 stepper motor driver carrier?
Bipolar stepper motors typically have four leads, two for each coil.

The above diagram shows a standard bipolar stepper motor. To control this with the A4983, connect stepper lead A to board output 1A, stepper lead C to board output 1B, stepper lead B to board output 2A, and stepper lead D to board output 2B. See the A4983 datasheet for more information.

It is most likely that A, B, C, and D in the diagram above will correlate to the letters on the G3 board, but check with your multimeter to be sure.

Also take the time to be 100% sure that your connections are good and not likely to come lose when testing. I hear a lose wire between the A4983 and a stepper can fry the board.

Hope that helps.
November 29, 2010 09:03AM
Hi Capo

Thanks for the link - I did not see it.

I don't think it can correlate to A B C D as per G3 since it seems to me that A and B form a coil and C and D form a coil on the G3 boards... This is proved out when you connect the blue and red or green and black wires and turn the stepper by hand the resistance increases...

But the link certainly is worth while.

I would imagine it is either

*1B = blue
*1A = red
*2A = green / black
*2B = black / green

so it is either green black or black green for the last 2 connections...
November 29, 2010 09:21AM
If you can, trace the wires back to the stepper motor its self and identify what sequence they come out in. In my experience it seems that for most steppers the wires come out of the housing so that labelling the wires from left to right A, B, C and D is the same to the diagram on the Pololu page.

Otherwise, as long as each coil is paired correctly (1A and 1B for one coil, 2A and 2B for another) I cant imagine it would do any damage to the driver to test the green/black or black/green combination. If its the right way around then the stepper will turn, if its the wrong way it should just make a click and not turn as the two coils oppose each other. Just use the 'blink" example sketch that comes with the arduino software to pulse the step pin once your board is all wired up.

However i'm still new to all this my self and so would recommend waiting for a second opinion before giving that a try.
November 29, 2010 09:48AM

so it is either green black or black green for the last 2 connections...

Yes that will simply change the direction of rotation.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 29, 2010 10:14AM
nice one - I will test and see what happens and put feedback here.

thanks guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login