Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen6 & Darwin

Posted by Gad 
Gad
Gen6 & Darwin
November 25, 2010 04:27PM
Hi there,
For lots of reasons - good and bad ones - I have left a mechanical kit from Bits&Bytes in my garage for 2 years now ... I finally starte building it some months ago and now I'm almost finished with the darwin robot mechanical part. I'll then need to add the electronics and need to make a choice here ... lots of generations have been developped since then (I think Gen2 was just released when I bought the kit ...). I can see that Gen6 seems to be cheaper than the previous ones and I'm not far from the Netherlands. So my question can sound easy like this : is the Gen6 suitable for a Darwin Repstrap ? Any other suggestion ?

cheers
Gad
Re: Gen6 & Darwin
November 25, 2010 06:52PM
It should work without a problem - Darwin is still a cartesian bot driven by three NEMA17 steppers, plus an extruder.
Gad
November 26, 2010 04:39AM
Thanks Andrew
The Repstrap I own has 3 x NEMA 23 motors but I guess it makes no change compared to NEMA 17.
The stepper driver inside Gen6 seems to be the DRV8811 and provides 2,5A whereas the motors (FL57STH51-3008cool smiley are rated 3.0A, which is not good I guess
However, from the motor spreadsheet (http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com/pdfs/FL57STH51-3008B.pdf), the 3.0A current/phase is in the unipolar configuration whereas the normal Reprap settings are in bipolar. In bipolar, if I understand the spreadsheet correctly, the current/phase is 2.1A, well under the stepper driver current capacity.
I hope I'm right here...

Thanks
Gilles
November 26, 2010 06:28AM
Even if you had motors spec'd for 5A you could still drive them with 2A drivers. You only get tourque for 2A then, of course.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login