Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiring a psu

Posted by chris33 
Wiring a psu
June 01, 2016 07:30AM
Hi

Its a bit noobish question as i hack a xbox360 psu to power my i3, i have a switch psu like this onePsu Link 12v 360w 30amp.
It has 3 12v outputs and was planning to use one for controller which have motors and couple of fans,tft and heater cartridge and the general power for the controller itself and the 2nd output through a ssr for the heatbed so im not directing the voltage and that through the board is that possible? as didnt want 2 seperate power supplies for space reasons.

also i purchased this iec connector iec connector
and wanted what fuse i should be safe with what calculations i need, also another stupid question what fuse rating for the plug i read to work on the fuse rating its watts/divide voltage ie in my case 360w/240? does that just apply for the plug fuse or will i need to put a bigger rating in the iec connector quick blow/time delay?

Im asking all these questions cos i don't want to kill myself and want have a safe ish set up and clean i know nothing 100% safe but messing with electronic stuff its bestter to ask ask then re ask before you fry yourself

Thanks for any assistance is given very much appreciative

diagrams welcome

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Re: Wiring a psu
June 01, 2016 01:34PM
You might like to look at my printable enclosure here [www.thingiverse.com] although it is designed for a 300W PSU not 360W.

The current draw of the PSU is approximately the maximum output power divided by the input voltage divided by the efficiency. If we assume 80% effriciency then that works out as 1.875A. The RMS current is somewhat higher because these PSUs don't generally include PFC. I use a 3.15A time delay fuse for my 300W PSU and that should be OK for your 360W one too.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login