Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What to chose (RADDS or GEN7 v2)

Posted by rastaman46 
What to chose (RADDS or GEN7 v2)
May 26, 2016 04:12AM
Hi all again

Can any one tell me witch one is better ???

What is the main difference between them ???

Regards
Re: What to chose (RADDS or GEN7 v2)
May 26, 2016 06:14AM
better is a matter of opinion.

They have totally different goals

Gen 7 is meant to be home made, make your own PCB, solder it up etc Is totally open source
It is however very new and not a big user base yet. Also only runs Teacup firmware (that I’ve heard of)

RADDS is not open source at all.... you buy it complete
Although there are several people porting marlin to Due boards, I don’t believe it is currently stable (someone update me if that's no longer correct)
It does how ever run Repetier-Firmware and RepRapFirmware
RADDS is also quite new and not a large user base.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 06:18AM by Dust.
VDX
May 26, 2016 06:44AM
... I'm using RADDS and Marlin4Due for my paste-dispenser devopment - it was running pretty stable ... but I've then modified most of the GUI and some of the basic functionality, so it's not directly usable for common 3D-printing anymore ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 26, 2016 10:23AM
Using radds with Reprap firmware here , its stable and one of the best for delta and super easy to config, no flashing or stuff like that just edit a txt file on your sd card.

I dont even think Gen 7 and radds are on the same league Radds have way more ouput and stepper slot than Gen7 its come with 6 stepper slot, and 6 mosfet ( 3 for hotend,2 for fan,1 for Hcool smiley. The gen7 (excluding the fact that you have to make your own) only support one firmware and do not support any next gen firmware at all and it wont be able to get a easy fork for those firmware because the creator chose a different cpu not a Sam3x8e like other 32 bit board and he even said he have no interest in making other firmware run on it because for him marlindue, repetier and RRF are only popular choice that wont last...

The duet board are the radds competitor but its a all in one board stuck on 4988, that can be a good thing or a bad thing its depend of what you want to run with it, as for myself I prefer to be able to change or chose the stepper driver I want to use. Maybe the next duet ( NG I think) will allow to change the stepper, I have no idea.
May 26, 2016 02:13PM
Dust
Gen 7 is meant to be home made, make your own PCB, solder it up etc Is totally open source

No, it's not Open Source, it does not use an Open Source license.

It might be considered open source by the Reprap administrator, who also happens to be the designer of Gen7. smiling smiley

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
May 26, 2016 02:27PM
But according to repetier config page it do support Gen7

see attached

Can any one clarify this please????

I love Repetier and i want to stay with it !!!

I can build GEN7 for 20pounds

when radds cost 45 on its own + Arduino Due it makes big difference on price

This difference ill pay my laser off

Regards

Dust
better is a matter of opinion.

They have totally different goals

It is however very new and not a big user base yet. Also only runs Teacup firmware (that I’ve heard of)

RADDS is not open source at all.... you buy it complete
Although there are several people porting marlin to Due boards, I don’t believe it is currently stable (someone update me if that's no longer correct)
It does how ever run Repetier-Firmware and RepRapFirmware
RADDS is also quite new and not a large user base.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 02:30PM by rastaman46.
Attachments:
open | download - gen7-repetier.png (10.8 KB)
May 27, 2016 05:12AM
bobc
It might be considered open source by the Reprap administrator, who also happens to be the designer of Gen7. smiling smiley

It might be considered open source because sources are open, like downloadable, and open, like modifyable. And it happens that this moaning about a -NC clause is part of the reason why many designs come as closed source now, like sources not even viewable.

Other than that, people are right, Gen7 and RADDS are pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum of controller choices. Industrial part there; ordered as a bag of components and empty PCB here.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 27, 2016 08:50AM
"But according to repetier config page it do support Gen7"

I suspect this is out dated documentation and only applied to pre v2 gens 7's

Also if you look at the list of Processors on the configuration page it only lists Due (SAM3X8E) and Atmel 8 bit, not the LPC1114FN28 as used on the gen 7 v2.

At this time as far as I can ascertain gen7 v2's are not supported by repetier firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 08:58AM by Dust.
May 27, 2016 03:36PM
Thanks all i think i got my decision for what i gonna go for

Thanks again

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login