Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help fixing my G3 stepper controller please

Posted by AgeingHippy 
Re: help fixing my G3 stepper controller please
November 16, 2010 02:09PM
AgeingHippy -If you mess it up or just want another Stepper motor PCB, let me know I have some spare ones that I'm not going to use.

You could just scratch away the solder resist from the Via, and solder a small wire out of the hole and lay it across where the IC leg should have been, just make sure you solder that one first. (Don't use this method if you are planning to use a hot-plate).

If you don't get on well with the solder-paste method, try soldering down one leg in each corner and then go down the row with the iron, solder (add flux first).

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 19, 2010 05:45PM
Well that has been a waste of time and effort sad smiley

Still only getting one side of the motor energised... A and B are lighting up but the other coil is dead!

I had some really persistent solder bridges that resulted in the chip being heated more than I would like. Is it possible I have trashed the chip that way? Is there anything else on the board that could be dead and therefore not getting C & D to energise?

I have examined it closely using one of these 10x glasses (Amazing things those) and have touched up one or two feet that looked dodgy but to no avail. Is it time for another chip and another try?

Rich

Are those bare PCBs you have or is it a populated stepper driver?

Cheers
November 20, 2010 10:04PM
solder bridges can destroy a chip even with no discernible heating. If it got hot enough for you to notice, it's definitely fried.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
November 21, 2010 05:35PM
The spares are just bare PCB's I only had them as a backup, but didn't need to make them up.

I should also not need my Gen 3 Electronics in about 2-3weeks time if I can get my new system to work correctly.

If I were you I would just buy some Pololu steppers. You can always solder one into some strip-board and wire it up with a 10way box header and screw-terms so it looks like a Gen3.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 22, 2010 07:07AM
Hi Rich

Yes, that is the route I am going down now.

I will probably get 2 pololu drivers. Use one to replace my burnt out stepper and the other for the extruder - that whine will get pretty irritating pretty quick I am sure.

Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login