Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Sbase 1.2 thermocoupler setup?

Posted by dintid 
MKS Sbase 1.2 thermocoupler setup?
April 17, 2016 12:27AM
I recently recieved 2 MKS Sbase 1.2 boards and am pretty pleased.

I would have liked to use my existing PT100 sensors, but seems a good way off before that can be realized.

In the meantime I'd like to use a Thermocoupler for my hotend at least, so I can print high temperature stuff.

Looking at the images from their Github there is Thermocoupler support on the upper right part of the Card - the J7 pins

Card Photo from MKS site

Pinout of MKS Sbase 1.2 from MKS site

I have a small list of questions though. Asking as I'd rather not burn my Card smiling smiley
  1. The seller says I just have to hook in the thermocoupler directly to the pins, but is that really true? Smoothieware documeations states I need an amplifier
  2. What does NC stand for? Solved. Not Connected
  3. If I can just plug thermocoupler + into the 5v on the board, but where does the negative go? To NC og GND? solved
  4. If I use an amplifier, does the signal go to NC, or? Same as above.

How do I setup the firmware to use the Thermoucpler instead of the default thermistor pins at TH2 P0.24 ?

What does NC stand for? Solved = Not Connected

Edit: to insert images.
Edit2: Edited to mark up the Solved ones.
Also to clarify that I am not asking about WHAT a thermocoupler is. I just want to know whter the Sbase 1.2 needs an amplifier or not. I also do not ask what an amplifier is smiling smiley
I AM asking if anyone have specific tips to setup firmware to readout from a thermocoupler on different pins than TH2 - please do not just say I should read on smoothiware site, as I allready did that smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 07:19AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Attachments:
open | download - overview.jpg (157 KB)
open | download - pins.jpg (195.5 KB)
Re: MKS Sbase 1.2 thermocoupler setup?
April 17, 2016 02:41AM
NC is no connection. ie nothing is connected to that pin.

Normally a thermocouple requires a amplifier, some boards have a amplifier onboard, I cant speak for your board...

A thermocouple is literally two dissimilar wires.. connecting them to +5v and gnd is a short and will probably damage the voltage regulators

[raw.githubusercontent.com] is a much better schematic... you can actually zoom in on it

Are some googling I am fairly sure this board has no amplifier and they have designed it to use their amplifier product
[www.makerbase.com.cn]

As for the firmware side of things... I have no experience, but [smoothieware.org] looks to be a good place to start

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 03:11AM by Dust.
Re: MKS Sbase 1.2 thermocoupler setup?
April 17, 2016 07:09AM
Dust
NC is no connection. ie nothing is connected to that pin.
Thanks smiling smiley

Dust
Normally a thermocouple requires a amplifier, some boards have a amplifier onboard, I cant speak for your board...
yes, that is why I asked if the Manufacturer were right, when he said this board did not require one smiling smiley

Dust
A thermocouple is literally two dissimilar wires.. connecting them to +5v and gnd is a short and will probably damage the voltage regulators
[raw.githubusercontent.com] is a much better schematic... you can actually zoom in on it

Are some googling I am fairly sure this board has no amplifier and they have designed it to use their amplifier product
[www.makerbase.com.cn]
My question it not at all about what a thermocoupler is about. Did I give that impression? I even said I'd rather use my PT100 but support was far away, so I wanted a Thermocouple in order for me to print high temp stuff.

Dust
As for the firmware side of things... I have no experience, but [smoothieware.org] looks to be a good place to start
Seriously? I even Refer to the smoothiware documenation in my question, so I have obviously tried looking myself.
I'm just rather new to Smoothieware and needed a helping hand to crack it.

Thank you for the NC clarification smiling smiley

Edits: lots of edits to get the quotations to Work and stuff smiling smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 07:15AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login