Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DB25 for consolidating stepper wiring

Posted by RickRap 
DB25 for consolidating stepper wiring
April 08, 2016 03:11AM
Looking at making some kind of quick disconnect for a power 'brick' I'm designing that will include the power supply and control board. I'm designing for 6 steppers x 4 leads = 24 leads. Would a DIY DB25 be a usable solution?
Re: DB25 for consolidating stepper wiring
April 08, 2016 04:56AM
I'd shop for good quality DB25 connectors with solid pins. Otherwise the powerloss could be too much for the insulation material.
April 08, 2016 05:08AM
I just checked the datasheet for a couple of DB25 connectors, and found the current rating was 5A per contact in one case and 2A in the other. So should be OK for stepper motors up to 2A or perhaps more, depending on brand, if you get good quality connectors as the previous post suggests.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 08, 2016 12:21PM
Gecko G540 (integrated 4 axis drivers and a few other things) uses DB9's for each stepper. Zero issues with this setup, and I personally run much higher voltage and current through mine than anything that the current crop of printer boards do.
April 09, 2016 01:02AM
Thanks guys.

This looks pretty handy!

[www.ebay.com]
April 09, 2016 02:05PM
High speed / voltage pulsed signals close together unshielded
just asking for cross talk
judicious placement of signals and grounds warranted

confused smiley
April 09, 2016 03:07PM
I wouldn't worry about crosstalk between high current motor leads, though you may have some problems with noise induced into thermistor inputs. Twist the wires for each pair - motor coils, endstops, and thermistors.

It seems like a good idea to put everything through one connector, but you're going to be wishing you hadn't when the time comes to fix or change something. It can be very difficult to get at the wires in those connectors without your soldering iron melting the adjacent wires/insulation/heatshrink. I'd split the connections among multiple connectors or even use screw terminal blocks instead of a single connector.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login