Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB TTL cable pins

Posted by mattuwattu 
USB TTL cable pins
October 14, 2010 05:03PM
Bought myself a USB TTL cable off eBay which i hope someone could help with .... a USB 2.0 to TTL UART Module Serial Device Converter CP2102 Chipset which i believe to be a Silicon Labs product.

Looking at the converter described on the wiki, , and comparing it to what the item I have bought, the pins don't match 100%.

The one on the wiki has pins:
1 GND
2 CTS#
3 VCC
4 TXD
5 RXD
6 RTS#

Mine ( / ) has :
1 3.3V
2 RST
3 TXD
4 RXD
5 GND
6 +5V

Is mine destined for the recycling bin?

Thanks
Matt
VDX
Re: USB TTL cable pins
October 15, 2010 04:48AM
... you can adapt a fitting pin-row with the corresponding pins from the connector and the 'missing' pins wired directly from the FTDI-chip ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 15, 2010 04:52AM
Thanks for responding Viktor.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can i simply create a cable where the 6 pins on my connector are linked to the motherboard or do i need to do something a little more fancy to pick up pins from the chip on the convertor circuit board.

I'm mechanically minded, not electrical!

Thanks
Matt
VDX
October 15, 2010 05:15AM
Hi Matt,

... you simply make a new 6-wire-cable with 6 pins on the one end and solder the cable to the correct pins - +5V/VCC, GND, RxD,TxD best from the connector-pins, CTS, RTS from the corresponding pins of the chip (download the datasheet of the chip and localize the pins).

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 15, 2010 05:31AM
Viktor,

I downloaded the data sheets and tried to match the pins up but i wasnt 100% sure. If I understand you correctly, I need to do the wire the cable like this .....

... Wiki .... My connector
1 GND = GND
2 CTS Not available
3 VCC = +5V
4 TXD = TXD
5 RXD = RXD
6 RTS Not available

And with the 2 missing ones on my board, i need to solder a wire direct to a pin of the chip itself (which is probably less than 0.5mm thick!?)

Thanks for your patience!
Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 05:38AM by mattuwattu.
VDX
October 15, 2010 05:48AM
... exactly! - for easier soldering the wires to the thin pins you should presolder the wires and pins (use 0.5mm-solder and a sharp soldering tip) and then set the wire on top of the pin and touch the wire with the soldering tip ...

Viktor
--------

October 15, 2010 05:50AM
You are a star!

Thanks Viktor.
December 02, 2010 01:48PM
The USB to TTL cable I bought from Tronisoft was very reasonably priced and had the interface you required:

[www.tronisoft.com]

Item 2469 -

Pin Out : Wire Colour : Function
1 : Black : Ground
2 : Brown : CTS (Clear to Send)
3 : Red : Vcc +5V typical (output)
4 : Orange : TTL Transmit Tx (output)
5 : Yellow : TTL Receive Rx (input)
6 : Green : RTS (Request to Send)
7 : ----- : Shield / GND

I didn't need to use the shield line so left it unconnected.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login