Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMBo Questions

Posted by HD-Fatboy 
RAMBo Questions
February 10, 2016 09:59PM
I have been printing for about a year with my DIY printer. Bought it as a kit, the designer has closed shop so... Anyway burned out a motor on the X axis so I bought a new motor, not the same model though. I had read someplace that the setup for the motors was in the config files but I cannot find them. Looks like Marlin configs.

Tried the new stepper but it acts like there is not enough voltage running in it. Other steppers do work on it.

Can't I use different steppers or do they all have to be the same?

Can someone point me in the direction to this info?

Thank you in advance
Re: RAMBo Questions
February 11, 2016 03:08AM
What are the rated current and voltage specifications per phase for the motor you bought? It sounds as though the motor is not well matched to the driver, or the current needs to be adjusted.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 11, 2016 12:53PM
I'm at work so the details of the stepper I don't have. I'm just looking for information on how to configure the current for the steppers. Like were is it located in the Merlin firmware or any documentation on setting the X,Y and Z axis current/steps etc.

Thank you
February 11, 2016 04:36PM
If you have brought 12v 3amps stepper, for eg it will never work with standard drivers.

Which is why "we" need to know what steppers you have to give you the correct advise.
February 12, 2016 10:53AM
I bought 3 and tried all with them stuttering, possible that 3 could be bad but not probable.

this is the replacement
NEMA 17 - KL17H248-15-4A, 76 oz-in

Specifications:
Shaft: 5mm diameter with flat
Current Per Phase: 1.5A
Holding Torque: 5.5Kg.cm (76 oz-in)
Rated Voltage: 4.2V
NO.of Phase: 2
Step Angle: 1.8° ± 5%
Resistance Per Phase: 2.8O± 10%
Inductance Per Phase: 4.8mH± 20%
Insulation Class: Class B
Dielectric Strength: 100Mohm
Operation Temp Range: -20 ~ +40° C

this is the current drives

Kysan NEMA 17 - Model 1124090

Specifications:
Step Angle: 1.8°
Rated Voltage: 4.2V
Current Per Phase: 1.5A
Resistance Per Phase: 2.8O± 10%
Inductance Per Phase: 4.8mH± 20%
NO.of Phase: 2
Insulation Class: Class B
Holding Torque: 5.5Kg.cm
Model number: 1124090
Shaft: 5mm diameter w/ one flat
Insulation Resistance: 100Mohm
Operation Temp Range: -20 ~ +40° C
Lead Wire: 22AWG / 750mm
4 pin 2.54mm connector

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 10:56AM by HD-Fatboy.
February 12, 2016 10:04PM
The replacement looks fine

Im going to guess wiring, the different steppers all have different coloured wiring.

Its best to just ignore the colours and work out your coils

A stepper is two coils, you need to identify which two wires form one coil, use a multimeter and look for the connected wires.
If you don’t have a multi meter see [reprap.org] for other tricks

The plugs on the controller board are 4 pin, pins 1 and 2 are coil A and pins 3 and 4 are Coil B, it doesn’t matter which is coil A or B, if the stepper moves in reverse just swap the coils over. (or fix in firmware)
March 01, 2016 08:04PM
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Checked my wires on my steppers and they are all running correctly.

So I think my X axis is buggy

swapped the stepper on the Y and I know that works, stepper works fine on the Y

I reflashed the firmware and still has issues

The Rambo has 2 extruder hookups, theoretically could I not use the E1 as an X axis?

If so how do I do this in the firmware?

Last question for the night, How are the RUMBA boards?

Thanks for helping guys, it's been 3 months and it's killing me!
May 28, 2016 07:24PM
Yes the motor replacements sound fine. And based on your statement that your wiring is correct, then it seems your x-axis stepper driver went out. I have a rambo-mini where my extruder stepper just died. It still works, but it has a strange high pitch whine and i don't think it's working quite right.

You are correct that theoretically you could swap the marlin firmware code and use the other extruder driver as a replacement for your x-axis. Where that is i don't know, you'll just have to browse around or read about marlin on the wiki. Try watching Tom's guide(s) as that should get you going in the right direction.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login