Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS LCD Display Flickering & Dimming When Extruding?

Posted by peps1 
RADDS LCD Display Flickering & Dimming When Extruding?
February 09, 2016 09:07PM
I have some real issues with the RADDS LCD.

When I have just the Arduino powered it's very dim, and I have to turn up the contrast, but then when I power on the PSU too, it become much brighter and I have to turn down the contrast and it flickers.

Then when I print, every-time the extruder motor is running the LCD get much dimmer while extruding or retracting????.

I don't think its sag from the USB cable or supply, as I have tried 5 USB cable, half a dozen different USB sockets on multiple machines, a DC power supply, and a mini USB 2Amp wall PSU for the Raspberry Pi.
VDX
Re: RADDS LCD Display Flickering & Dimming When Extruding?
February 10, 2016 03:38AM
... it's the voltage level, what's changing with load - add an extra PS for the 5V-support ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 10, 2016 12:27PM
VDX
... it's the voltage level, what's changing with load - add an extra PS for the 5V-support ...

Thanks Viktor, do you mean add a power supply to the Due via the barrel socket power as well as the USB connection? (and if so is 9v OK?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 12:33PM by peps1.
VDX
February 10, 2016 01:23PM
... the USB-connector can only handle 5V! - it's direct connected to the 5V-circuitry, so higher voltages will damage some of the chips.

Iit seems, your 12V PSU is not strong enough to drive the motors and support the 5V regulator with enough current for the display too.

So better search a 12V PSU with more current ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 10, 2016 05:13PM
VDX
... the USB-connector can only handle 5V! - it's direct connected to the 5V-circuitry, so higher voltages will damage some of the chips.

Yes, I understand the USB is 5V and the Due runs on 3.3V, I was wondering if you were suggesting ALSO powering it from the 2.1mm jack that will take 7-12V power supply.

VDX
Iit seems, your 12V PSU is not strong enough to drive the motors and support the 5V regulator with enough current for the display too.

So better search a 12V PSU with more current ...

Its a 20A 12V PSU, dose that sound to weak for a i3 style printer running 5 x 1.3A motors?
VDX
February 10, 2016 05:37PM
... the 20A should be enough, so maybe you have another issue - maybe a faulty part, drawing too much current, so the 5V for the LCD breaks down?

Can you measure the voltage level of the 5V while printing?

Viktor
--------

February 10, 2016 05:48PM
Sure,

Is it OK to read the voltages from the Aux1 pads, as they look like they are going to be the easiest to get to?

VDX
February 10, 2016 06:12PM
yes, it's OK

Viktor
--------

February 10, 2016 09:12PM
OK here are the quite worrying voltage reading from the 5V pad.....

Just USB power to the Due = 4.53V
USB + 12V PSU = 7.15V

Heating Bed = ~6.7V
Heating Bed + Hotend = ~6.4V

Printing= ~5,8V

And here is how I have my printer setup:

February 11, 2016 02:33PM
Switched out the Due for another one, and now get 4.61V under USB, and a much more respectable 5.08V when powered by the printers PSU.

As expected this also resolves the flicking on the LED, and having to adjust the contrast when powering over USB vs PSU.

Will double check the voltage stays stable when printing, just in case!
VDX
February 11, 2016 06:50PM
... seems, the 5V-voltage regulator on the old Due is broken eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

February 11, 2016 07:03PM
Yes, with a new Due, everything seems be be behaving as it should smiling smiley

Thank you for your help smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login