Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smoothieware Delta Printer Homing/Direction Issue

Posted by hellojava 
Smoothieware Delta Printer Homing/Direction Issue
February 07, 2016 03:53PM
I've managed to set up the printer and connect all of the different parts to the board, but I am having trouble with homing and direction.

So far: I've ensured my 3 max end_stops are on the right rail (x endstop == x rail, y ==y, z==z).

I've ensured all of the motors are plugged into their corresponding sockets.

However, once I use ponterface to calibrate and test my printer, I'm having issues with the axis. The X axis does not have a direction! Everytime I click +Z(10) it arbitrarily moves either up or down.

At first, while homing, the carriages would reach the top, hit the endstops and continue moving the opposite direction until reaching the bottom. I think I solved this issue by simply reducing the rate at which the machine was homing the z axis.

I'm not sure if this is because of a current issue, or a direction issue, or even a pin enabled issue. I've tried multiple ways to fix this issue, but it seems as if the situation worsens with every iteration.

For example, my Z axis has completely stopped working now. It doesn't even feel like the stepper motor is holding at this point, because the pulley moves freely after being given a +Z(10) command.

I've attached my config.txt file.

This is my second build. My first was a normal XYZ reprap type printer.

I'm using a smoothieware compatible board (MKS Sbase v1.2) to construct a kossel type printer with hardened linear guide rails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 03:57PM by hellojava.
Attachments:
open | download - config.txt (23.8 KB)
Re: Smoothieware Delta Printer Homing/Direction Issue
February 08, 2016 02:30AM
I managed to figure out this issue if anyone was wondering.

1. Make sure the 4pin connector where your crimped stepper wires are inserted inside of is assembled correctly. The crimped wires in mine were not inserted correctly by the manufacturer, and so the stepper had no direction in which to go (one one pole of the two was working). When inserted into the board, one of the wires was pushed out. This caused the steppers to vibrate in place.

2. As for the carriages hitting the top endstop and then going in the other direction, I believe this was related to the faulty wiring as well. Also slowing down the homing speed helps with ensuring that the carriage hitting the endstop is processed by the controller. Going to fast will cause it to hit hard and keep going until it is given the command to retract.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login