Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Motor TROUBLES [SOLVED]

Posted by ollyreprap 
Duet Motor TROUBLES [SOLVED]
January 25, 2016 01:56PM
Not completely sure this is the right place, if i need to move it please message me.

So After successfully wiring up my delta build to my T3P3 duet 0.85, i began testing/calibrating.
All was going well when while testing the extruder (waiting for hot end to warm up), i tried to home the printer and noticed one of the motors was not moving.

To be clear this is one of the delta movement motors, not the extruder.

I've done some problem elimination and tested the motor which works fine so have concluded it must be something on the board itself.
I've also checked the continuity and resistance between the contacts and the board ( a screw gate terminal i soldered on) and they are all well within the expected range.
This most likely means it is something with the driver.
T3P3 seem a very good and reputable seller so i'm hesitant to think this is a bad board.
I also thought in soldering the contacts onto the board i may have damaged it but have inspected it visually but there is nothing glaringly damaged.
The final thing i might add is that the motor was working all through calibration and it didn't grind to a halt mid movement it just wouldn't start suddenly, there was also no audible sounds/visual of the stepper driver smoking etc.
I'm also running stepper current at 800mA.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Olly!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 09:06AM by ollyreprap.
Re: Duet Motor Troubles
January 25, 2016 03:23PM
First, check that the problem isn't caused by a disconnected homing switch. Send G91 to select relative movements, then use G1 S2 commands to control the tower motors individually. For example, G1 S2 X10 should move the X carriage up 10mm. Test all three tower motors in this way.

If that confirms that one of the motors is not responding, run M906 with no parameters to check that you haven't accidentally set the current very low on the motor that doesn't move. Also check your M569 commands in config.g to make sure you haven't remapped the not moving motor to another channel.

If you still have a problem, then with power off and USB disconnected, swap the connections to the not working motor at the Duet with the connections to one of the working motors. Then power up and see if the problem has moved to the other motor. If yes, that would support your theory that there is a fault on that channel of the Duet.

The drivers on the Duet are quite robust, but they can be damaged by connecting or disconnecting a motor with power applied, or a bad motor connection having the same effect. Screw terminals don't grip stranded wires well, so they should always be used with ferrules.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 25, 2016 04:32PM
Thank you so much!

Somehow i'm still not sure when i did it but the x was deleted in the motor current lines hence there was no current, I've added it back and it works fine!

Thanks once again,

Olly
January 26, 2016 04:00AM
ollyreprap
Thank you so much!

Somehow i'm still not sure when i did it but the x was deleted in the motor current lines hence there was no current, I've added it back and it works fine!

Thanks once again,

Olly

I'm glad you solved it. You have several hours left in which to edit the original message to add [SOLVED] to the topic name.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login