Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Controller for ultimaker clone

Posted by evenbor 
Controller for ultimaker clone
January 08, 2016 06:14PM
I have build a ultimaker clone and wonder what is the best controller?
Like the duet, but not sure if the firmware support this printer.
Re: Controller for ultimaker clone
January 08, 2016 06:28PM
RepRapFirmware on the Duet supports all the common printer configurations and commonly-used hardware except for the following. There is no support for servo-deployed Z probes; no support yet for dual Z motors connected to independent drivers; and no support for 20x4 or 12864 LCDs (but support for the PanelDue colour touch screen instead). Most users don't feel the need for an LCD because the web interface can be used from PC, tablet or smartphone - or even all three at once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 06:29PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 08, 2016 07:04PM
The PanelDue screen/interface is way ahead of those other LCD ones.
January 09, 2016 03:49AM
Thank you. I'm using the mini ir sensor board, and the paneldue looks awesome.
So I think it will be the duet
Is it big difference between 0.6 and 0.8.5?
January 09, 2016 12:44PM
The major difference is that the 0.8.5 supports dual extrusion and the 0.6 doesn't without ann
add-on board. See the T3P3 blog for the full list of improvements in the 0.8.5. The quality of the T3P3 0.8.5 boards (which are made in the UK) is also better than the Replikeo 0.6 boards judging from the reports I have seen.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 14, 2016 08:28AM
WZ9V
The PanelDue screen/interface is way ahead of those other LCD ones.
Actually you can get a very nice touchscreen made for mks sbase but compatible with ramps for 20-30 euros

I'm using ramps for my um2 clones just fine. Using DIY mini oled display atm

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
January 14, 2016 08:29AM
evenbor
You can't really use pt100 sensors on duet unless you are a firmware ninja.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
January 15, 2016 06:38AM
dintid
evenbor

PT100 sensor support is coming to RepRapFirmware, supporting MAX31865 boards with a digital interface to the Duet, such as [www.ebay.co.uk] and [www.ebay.com]. I have one on the desk in front of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 06:39AM by dc42.

January 22, 2016 06:04PM
dc42
dintid
evenbor

PT100 sensor support is coming to RepRapFirmware, supporting MAX31865 boards with a digital interface to the Duet, such as [www.ebay.co.uk] and [www.ebay.com]. I have one on the desk in front of me.
Nice. Going to support E3Ds board as Well I hope? I have a couple of those I use atm. I havn't looked at the chip used as it really meant not much to me.

Edit: guess not as E3D is 5v?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 06:06PM by dintid.

January 23, 2016 02:19AM
evenbor
The touch display I mentioned which was made for mks sbase but can be used with ramps as well.
They also sell a version for mks sbase only.

Maybe one of those could work with duet dc42? They appeal to me a lot, and know a lot of other people feel the same.

In my latest "Ultimaker 2" build, I'm going to start out with 12v ramps. Then 24 ramps and finally testing mks sbase 1.2.
Building it using JennyPrinter case, which I talked them into selling selling separately instead of full printer.

Going to be interesting to see if there are any major differences in quality and usage, like speed, motor and driver heat etc.
Going to use power expander to drive the 24v heated bed when running 12v electronics.

@dc42 I Can do a duet test as Well if you send me one. It's going to be a test aimed at the "normal" user with focus on visible obvious differences in quality. Noise. Measured heat etc.
There will be talks about different requirements for cabling and connectors as well.
Not going to very technical, but aimed at the average normal person who might consider building a printer or upgrading controller.

I'm in no way affiliated with or profit otherwise from any products mentioned here. (Just to make sure it's not taken as such)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 02:23AM by dintid.

January 23, 2016 02:54AM
dintid
@dc42 I Can do a duet test as Well if you send me one. It's going to be a test aimed at the "normal" user with focus on visible obvious differences in quality. Noise. Measured heat etc.
There will be talks about different requirements for cabling and connectors as well.
Not going to very technical, but aimed at the average normal person who might consider building a printer or upgrading controller.

I'm in no way affiliated with or profit otherwise from any products mentioned here. (Just to make sure it's not taken as such)

I'm not involved with manufacture or sales of the Duet, I just maintain a firmware fork for it. So the only Duet 0.8.5 I have is the one in my delta printer. Try Think3DPrint3D, they may be willing to lend you one.

January 23, 2016 02:57AM
dc42
dintid

I'm not involved with manufacture or sales of the Duet, I just maintain a firmware fork for it. So the only Duet 0.8.5 I have is the one in my delta printer. Try Think3DPrint3D, they may be willing to lend you one.
Ok. Thanks.

Do you think it would be possible to use the touchscreen I linked? Would remove one of my biggest issues

January 23, 2016 03:11AM
dintid
Do you think it would be possible to use the touchscreen I linked? Would remove one of my biggest issues

Unlikely at present, because firmware support would need to be added for it. Personally I would find a 2.8 inch screen far too small. I don't want to be peering at it from close range every time I want to do something. The PanelDue design started off using a 3.2 inch screen, then the minimum became 3.2 inch widescreen format, and then 4.3 inch - all because the smaller screens didn't have enough display resolution to show a reasonable amount of information on the screen. Using a larger screen also allows PanelDue to provide an on-screen keyboard, so you can enter gcodes directly if the commands you want to run are not available already in the menu system or in the user-defined macros.

Dan Newman is working on adding support for cheaper displays to RepRapFirmware.

However, an LCD is a bit of a luxury when you use a Duet anyway, because you can control the printer from your smartphone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 03:12AM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login