Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What the heck is mnm? (in relation to stepper motors.)

Posted by Caliber Mengsk 
What the heck is mnm? (in relation to stepper motors.)
September 16, 2010 07:39PM
I understand it's a measurement, just like g/cm or oz/in, but I can't find anything on what mnm is, nor how to convert it to something like g/cm. Any help on this?
Re: What the heck is mnm? (in relation to stepper motors.)
September 16, 2010 09:13PM
I'm guessing it's actually mNm. I'm guessing that stands for milli-Newton-meters. If I'm correct, you convert to mNm to Nm by multiplying by 1000.

[www.kenteurope.com]

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
September 17, 2010 01:22AM
yep, mNm is milli newton meters. g.cm and oz.in are technically incorrect torque measurements because they refer to weight rather than mass, but if you understand that they're usable enough in conjunction with G=9.8m/s^2.

google calculator is great for pushing units and measurements around.. eg 1400 millinewton meters / (9.8 meters per (second ^ 2)) in kilogram centimeters, and it'll just give search results instead of a numerical result if you messed up somewhere and the units don't match smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
VDX
September 17, 2010 03:46AM
... it's common to specify the torque of big/strong steppers in Nm (my CNC-mill-steppers have 1.1Nm, my strongest motors have 4Nm), while the weaker NEMA17 and NEMA14 motors are often specified in mNm ... i have some NEMA17-steppers specified with 260mNm, what's the same as 0.26Nm, so they are 4 times lower in torque than needed for the CNC-mill ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 28, 2017 12:25AM
Yes, It should be milli-Newton-meters, one-thousandth of moment units (Nm).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 12:26AM by lilyliu.
VDX
December 28, 2017 02:42AM
... nekroposting or spamming?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login