Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer stops randomly with Duet controller

Posted by lolocaledo 
Printer stops randomly with Duet controller
December 16, 2015 11:10PM
Hi all,

I have a strange behavior since 3 or 4 days ago.
This problem occurs by printing with USB connected to Simplify3D or with GCODE file on the SDcard, printing launched from Web interface or PanelDue
Randomly, the printer stops .... sometimes go again after 10 or 20s ... and sometimes stops definitively.
When printer stops definitively, the hot end stops to heat.
is there a debug command on Duet to get more informations ? I seen on this forum some posts about M122 command.
It's Duet 0.65 version with the last DC42 firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 11:11PM by lolocaledo.
Re: Printer stops randomly with Duet controller
December 17, 2015 04:14AM
Next time it stops, check a couple of things:

1. Are the axes flagged as not homed in the web interface? That would suggest that the Duet has reset.

2. Run M122 to get diagnostic information. Look at the last reset time and reason. If the reset reason is software, look at the last software reset code.

Two common causes of controller board resets are power brownouts, and transients on mains ground fed through the USB cable. For maximum reliability, print without the USB cable connected Having Ethernet connected is OK.. When you do have a USB cable connected, make sure that the printer and the PC and nothing else are powered from the same mains distribution block. None of the advice in this paragraph is specific to Duet, it applies to all printer electronics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 04:15AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 17, 2015 05:27PM
Hello,

Thank you david.
After some tests :
- Printing with Gcode file on SDCARD with USB plugged but not connected with S3D : the problem occurs
- Printing with Gcode file on SDCARD with USB unplugged : no problem

Does it means that we can't use USB for long prints ? My USB cable is plugged on my iMac. the USB socket is not shared with other peripheral. Perhaps the cable quality ?
December 17, 2015 05:31PM
Have you followed my advice regarding mains power distribution?

A ferrite bead on the USB cable sometimes helps mitigate USB ground loop noise issues.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login