Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a way to change MOSFETs on a MKS Base V1.3?

Posted by 2_jammer 
Is there a way to change MOSFETs on a MKS Base V1.3?
December 05, 2015 12:27PM
Hello all-

I am new to 3d printing and I'm having a problem with a printer that I recently purchased that I need help with. In a nut shell, when my printer is powered up, the hot end starts to heat up without being commanded. I was told that the MOSFET could be defective. Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities to replace it. I do see however that it appears that this board is set up for dual extruders. Is there a way to switch off the offending MOSFET and switch on the other one? If it has to be done in the firmware then I'm really in a bad spot because I have zero support from the company I purchased this from so I'm going at this alone. I have included a pic of the motherboard for your reference.
Attachments:
open | download - MKS-BASE-V1-3.jpg (79 KB)
Re: Is there a way to change MOSFETs on a MKS Base V1.3?
December 06, 2015 03:04AM
If your firmware is set to the correct board then yes the mosfet is dead

but no you cant turn it off... It will always be on.

When the software is set to off, its on
when its set to on its still on.

There is no magic, I really did mean off mode...

But

Looking at the board the legs going to the mosfet are up from the board a little so you could cut both legs with a some snips to disable it.

Then you could play with the pins.h of your firmware and change it to use another mosfet.
December 06, 2015 06:39AM
I would insist on a replacement board. It was dead on arrival, so contact your dealer and/or open a claim in aliexpress or where ever.
If the vendor doesn't react, make a complain at MakerBase, so this vendor is probably banned by MakerBase.
-Olaf
December 10, 2015 08:03AM
Unfortunately, I purchased it on Amazon. I have emailed the vendor several times without a response, so I left negative feedback.
And I'm still stuck with a dead printer because I don't know how to activate the MOSFET for the other hot end moody smiley
VDX
December 10, 2015 11:07AM
... when cutting the legs with a wrong (big) cutter, they'll rip up the pad!

Better heat them with a solder iron, until the solder melts, then bend them up.

After that you can solder wires to the pads and connect an external MOSFET with them to the corresponding pads ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 10, 2015 09:20PM
Thanks for the advice on removing the bad MOSFET.
So essentially I cannot switch off the bad MOSFET and turn on the good MOSFET via the firmware?
VDX
December 11, 2015 03:44AM
... I'm not used with the MKS - but with normal firmwares you can connect to another PWM-output and change the corresponding pin in the firmware.

But if the MOSFET ist faulty, I'll replace it anyway ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 13, 2015 12:40PM
I appreciate your response and I have ordered some MOSFETs to replace the faulty one. Being new to the 3d printer world, I continued researching a solution to my problem. I have some firmware which is suppose to be for my controller (marlin) and loaded it up. I believe that this a older version and I changed my motherboard in the parameters to "34" to facilitate dual extruders. I opened Pronterface and commanded "T1 M104 S180" and the hot end fan turned on. So I think I'm getting close. I'm thinking that the pins.h file needs to be changed in order to turn on the right thing. I am asking for help on what to change. I have included a pic of my current configuration.
Attachments:
open | download - Pins.JPG (44.1 KB)
December 17, 2015 09:18PM
Anyone? confused smiley
January 09, 2016 06:20AM
does you solved it?

I like Arduino UNO R3 [geekmatic.in.ua] better than stm32
January 24, 2016 05:51PM
I believe the newest version is 1.2. I have seen a 1.4 which is obviously a fake as well.

You might simply be victim of a scammer who sold some bad boards.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login