Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New PanelDue touch screen beta firmware - testers wanted

Posted by dc42 
Re: New PanelDue touch screen beta firmware - testers wanted
November 17, 2015 12:09PM
Also I have a request:

Is it possible to insert a "Key" Button? During printing or setup the Panel can be locked so it doesnt do nothing when you hit the panel accidentially.
November 17, 2015 04:42PM
I have just released PanelDue firmware 1.12 beta 3 at [github.com]. As usual, follow the link to the binary you need and then press Raw to download. As of this release, the 7 inch display is also supported and there is a separate build for it.

The fan button now works, however the displayed value doesn't yet follow any changes you make vie the web interface or USB connection. I have hidden the Extrude button until I get time to write that functionality.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 18, 2015 03:22AM
I have a general request about fan control in RRF_dc42.

I've noticed that my fan doesn't start until PWM is almost 100%. Then I can reduce PWM down to 30-40% until the fan stops running.

1. I'd like to have a min_PWM setting, because I control the printer remotely over WLAN and I can't see if it runs or not. (using less than 50% is meaningless IMHO but the slider in web control allows 0%) Any value below min_PWM is translated to 0% so I'm able to stop the fan.

2. When firmware gets a command to set fan PWM to eg. 50% it should always start at 100% and then drop to 50% after a brief period to make sure, the fan gets enough juice to start spinning.

-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2015 03:23AM by o_lampe.
November 18, 2015 03:44AM
@ Olaf:

In simplyfy3d this feature is offered and I don´t know if other slicers offer this too

@David:

Is this not shown because it only listen to M106 S$ ??
Same in Web Control. Never changed to M106 P0 S$ or M106 P1 S$
Maybe there must be 2 Fan buttons now because of the 2 PWM Fan outputs?
November 18, 2015 05:50AM
Now I installed Beta 3. very nice.

Fan is not reacting to the button. Think it is because M106 only and not M106 P0 S or M106 P1 S, right?

CR in console is nice!! Maybe letters can be smaller too
November 18, 2015 06:51AM
PanelDue sends M106 S# where # is the requested speed. The Duet firmware defaults to P0. I don't currently have a printer with a print cooling fan attached. What I did to test it was to adjust the fan speed using the PanelDue and check that the fan slider on the web interface followed it - which it did. Also if I send M106 without parameters, and it returns the last value I set from PanelDue. So it seems to be working for me apart from the following two issues:

1. If the fan speed is changed other than by PanelDue (e.g. because of an M106 command in the gcode file being printed), then the change is not reflected in PanelDue. I will probably need to switch to using the more detailed M408 response to get this working.

2. You can't cancel the fan speed popup by pressing the Fan button again. This will be fixed in the 1.12 firmware release.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 19, 2015 03:08AM
Have 1.12 installed yesterday night.
On startup after connecting to the duet the bed temeratur is showing "-273" in active °C instead of "0" like the hotend.
Once you tap field it´s switching to "0". After leaving the menue its switching back to -273°C

And in the Macro menue the "German Umlaute" are not shown correctly. Instead of ü, ä, ö there symbols shown.

But all other is working fine.

Thanx!
November 19, 2015 08:03AM
Thanks for the feedback!

critical_limit
Have 1.12 installed yesterday night.
On startup after connecting to the duet the bed temeratur is showing "-273" in active °C instead of "0" like the hotend.
Once you tap field it´s switching to "0". After leaving the menue its switching back to -273°C

The initial -273C is what the Duet is reporting. The web interface will show the same. Add command M140 S0 to your config.g file if you want to initialise the bed temperature to zero.

If the PanelDue firmware sees a temperature below zero when you try to adjust it, it automatically starts the adjustment from zero. But if you cancel the adjustment, it will revert to what it was before - in your case, -273C.

critical_limit
And in the Macro menue the "German Umlaute" are not shown correctly. Instead of ü, ä, ö there symbols shown.

Accented characters come out properly in the gcode file list for me. Do they for you? Do macro names work properly in the web interface? I can't think why macro files would be any different from gcode files. However, the files with accented characters on my SD card were uploaded over the web interface. If you write the files to the SD card in a PC, then perhaps the PC was using a different character encoding. The Duet firmware assumes ISO 8859-1.

November 19, 2015 08:09AM
I released version 1.12 last night. Changes since 1.12 beta 3 are:

* Fixed touch sensitivity and accuracy issues that affected the 7" screen in particular

* Setting the fan speed can now be cancelled just like everything else (by pressing the Fan button again).

I don't plan on doing another release for a few weeks unless a serious issue turns up, but I am collecting ideas for further improvement.

November 19, 2015 02:12PM
Hi David,

Just loaded v1.12 into my Paneldue and it looks great and works a treat with my new duet v0.8.5

Thanks for your efforts, I don't know how you find the time.

Regards,

Julian S.

T3DP3D Mini Kossel, E3D V6 hot end, 0.4mm nozzle, 200mm diameter Ali heated bed, Duet v0.8.5 & dc42 rep rap v1.18. DWC v1.15, PanelDue-7-1.16 DC42 IR Z Probe, 2 X MAX31855 &Thermocouples, PID heated enclosure, SolidWorks 2017, slic3r
November 19, 2015 05:13PM
dc42

Accented characters come out properly in the gcode file list for me. Do they for you? Do macro names work properly in the web interface? I can't think why macro files would be any different from gcode files. However, the files with accented characters on my SD card were uploaded over the web interface. If you write the files to the SD card in a PC, then perhaps the PC was using a different character encoding. The Duet firmware assumes ISO 8859-1.

Hi David,

all accented characters are not shown on the Panel. Its fine in the web interface and shown correctly. Doesnt matter if I upload it via the web interface or direct to the card. In web Interface all is fine, but on the panel it´s wrong.
I´m using a mac (osx el capitan), but tested it with a PC (windows10) as well. not working on the panel.
By the way... checked the html in web interface and in the head is: meta charset="utf-8"

Any ideas how to correct this on the panel?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 05:17PM by critical_limit.
November 19, 2015 07:22PM
critical_limit
dc42

Hi David,

all accented characters are not shown on the Panel. Its fine in the web interface and shown correctly. Doesnt matter if I upload it via the web interface or direct to the card. In web Interface all is fine, but on the panel it´s wrong.
I´m using a mac (osx el capitan), but tested it with a PC (windows10) as well. not working on the panel.
By the way... checked the html in web interface and in the head is: meta charset="utf-8"

Any ideas how to correct this on the panel?

That's strange, because I keep a file with accented characters in the name on one of my SD cards specifically to test this, and it's displaying correctly:

Two suggestions:

1. Can you confirm that you are running my fork of RepRapFirmware, preferably version 1.09k?

2. Please attach one of the problem macro or gcode files so that I can try uploading it to my Duet with the same name.

November 20, 2015 03:13PM
dc42

Two suggestions:

1. Can you confirm that you are running my fork of RepRapFirmware, preferably version 1.09k?

2. Please attach one of the problem macro or gcode files so that I can try uploading it to my Duet with the same name.

hm, I see. Yours displayed correct.

Yes I run your latest fork. Have attached a makro test file which I´ve downloaded to the card via Web Interface not showing the right characters. But right in the Web Interface.

Thanx again!
Attachments:
open | download - Cal über 6 (894 bytes)
November 20, 2015 05:06PM
Thanks for providing the file. I just downloaded it, then I uploaded it to the Duet via the Macros page of the web interface. Here is the macros list displayed on the PanelDue:

So it's working for me (just like my test file).

Please can you try deleting the file from your SD card, downloading the file from your own link in the previous post, and uploading it using the Macros page of the web interface like I just did.

- David

November 20, 2015 06:13PM
Hi David,

thanx for the test you did.
I erased the files thousend times. Doesnt matter.
Maybe it´s because I use a german Win/OSX?
Web Interface is using utf-8 and there it´s working. DuePanel is using iso..blabla. Maybe that´s the reason?

It´s not a big deal as long as there is no language support in the PanelDue. But maybe others have same issues when using a OS other than english?
I don´t know. But maybe interesting when you are planning to integrate language support.

For now I dont use the "german umlaute" any more ;-)

Thank you very much for the 1.12 Version. It´s great!
And also thanx for your fork and your IR-board and...and...and

cheers
Dirk
November 20, 2015 06:41PM
Panel Due uses utf8. However, it only has fonts for the first 256 Unicode code points. Meanwhile, the FatFS library used in RepRapFirmware assumes that filenames on the SD card are in ISO8859-1 format, and it translates to and from utf8.

Just a thought: what size display are you using? I did my tests using a 4.3 inch display.

November 21, 2015 03:02AM
dc42

Just a thought: what size display are you using? I did my tests using a 4.3 inch display.

Same here. 4.3 display
November 21, 2015 04:48PM
This is very strange, and I want to get to the bottom of it. I included the first 256 Unicode code points in the fonts precisely so that French, German etc. accented characters can be used in filenames. They work for me, on two separate printers. One uses a 4.3" display, the other uses a 5" display.

Are you absolutely sure you are using firmware 1.09k-dc42, and not an earlier version of my fork? Look in the Settings page of the web interface to check, or run M115.

November 21, 2015 04:55PM
PS - please can you try uploading the attached gcode file to your gcodes folder, and see whether PanelDue displays it correctly.

Attachments:
open | download - test_ÀèêðöÊà_octagon.gcode (1.2 KB)
November 22, 2015 06:05AM
ormerod168
lolocaledo
- in Console messages, there isn't CR (carriage return) so we can't see all the message if the message is long

Yes , e.g. not able to show firmware version with M115, besides that I love everything about it!

Erik

Perfect! - Thank You!

Erik
November 22, 2015 07:19AM
David,

made a test uploading your file. On Web Interface it´s ok like all other accented characters. On the Panel not. See pics:

November 22, 2015 07:45AM
critical_limit
David,

made a test uploading your file. On Web Interface it´s ok like all other accented characters. On the Panel not. See pics:

[attachment 66368 IMG_0953.jpg][attachment 66369 IMG_0954.jpg]

Dave

Could this possible be something to do with the Panel itself being slightly different (ie one like T3P3 supplies and the original ITEAD one that I believe you use)

I don't have mine in a position where I can test it either at the moment I could maybe test it later this evening or tomorrow if you wish (my 4.3 inch is one from T3P3)?

Doug
November 22, 2015 09:02AM
critical_limit
dc42

Same here. 4.3 display

What I think I happening is that on your system the o-umlaut has been encoded as 'o' followed by a diacritical mark character for the umlaut. Whereas on mine it has been encoded as the single code point for o-with-umlaut.

Please can you try the PanelDue firmware at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. In this version I check for the common diacritical marks and translate them and the preceding character as necessary.

November 22, 2015 09:27AM
You solved it. Loaded your testfile to the macro folder and now it works. Actually I have a print running, but will do other tests after.
But I think you solved it completly.

Big Thanx!!

November 22, 2015 09:39AM
While you worked on the characters I integrated my webcam stream into Webinterface... ;-)

November 22, 2015 10:28AM
critical_limit
While you worked on the characters I integrated my webcam stream into Webinterface... ;-)

[attachment 66375 Bildschirmfoto.jpg] [attachment 66376 Bildschirmfoto1.jpg]

Eh that looks neat

Would you care to share how sure there will be others that are interested in that as well?

It would be good if it could be sent to a remote device.

Doug
November 22, 2015 10:54AM
November 22, 2015 11:21AM
critical_limit
You solved it. Loaded your testfile to the macro folder and now it works. Actually I have a print running, but will do other tests after.
But I think you solved it completly.

Big Thanx!!

Great, but please try the new PanelDue firmware I linked to in my previous post and see if that works with your original macro file.

November 22, 2015 11:38AM
dc42

Great, but please try the new PanelDue firmware I linked to in my previous post and see if that works with your original macro file.

Print finished a few minutes ago. Have checked other files in other directoies. All is working fine.

Thanks again for your great work!

Maybe another idea:
hide the file extensions. Actually the files are shown as: "Blabla.gcode". For better reading it would be enough to read "Blabla" I think.
Just a idea...
November 30, 2015 08:46AM
I saw in the release folder the beta1 v13.1 version. Can we use it ?

Laurent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login