Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 0.8.5 Ethernet transfer speed : 400 kb/sec

Posted by PRZ 
PRZ
Duet 0.8.5 Ethernet transfer speed : 400 kb/sec
September 29, 2015 07:52PM
I received yesterday a Duet 0.8.5 and flashed the firmware DC42 1.09k, said to improve ethernet speed transfer.

I tested it with a SD card 16Gb Sandisk Ultra and I get the transfer speed slightly over 400 kb/sec. Wow !
That really improves usability.
I had to reformat the SD card (FAT32)
For comparison, the original SD card supplied by T3P3 with the board gives 40 kb/sec
The SD card supplied with the duet 0.6 by RRP gives 80kb/sec.
Re: Duet 0.8.5 Ethernet transfer speed : 400 kb/sec
September 30, 2015 03:55AM
I'm glad it helped! That's better than the speed I have been able to achieve, even with some improvements that I was unable to release in 1.09k.

The achievable speed is completely dependent on the SD card. The file transfer over Ethernet happens at over 3Mbytes/sec when I throw away the data instead of writing it to SD card. Unfortunately, the headline speeds quoted for SD cards are for fairly short bursts of pure sequential writes, and in practice are not achieved because the firmware also has to read and write the FAT. But I am hoping to get some more speed improvement by pre-allocating the data sectors and buffering the FAT.

The SD card I received from T3P3 with my Duet 0.8.5 gives me 200kbyes/sec, so I am surprised that yours is running so slowly.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 16, 2016 11:54AM
As another datapoint, the SD card I received from T3P3 with my Duet 0.8.5 gives me 7.7kbyes/sec. Takes 30 minutes to transfer a 10Meg file. I'll try a different card, sounds like I should have a lot to gain.
January 16, 2016 05:55PM
Confirming that the card makes all the difference for me as well. New card results in 300-500K xfer speed.
January 16, 2016 07:40PM
I'm glad you have a good speed now. You may find it a little faster still in my 1.09r release compared to 1.09m and earlier.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login