Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper driver DRV8825

Posted by __bennie_ 
Stepper driver DRV8825
September 17, 2015 06:19AM
Hello everybody,

I'm new and I'm not sure if I can post this here so let me know if this is not placed correctly.

For a project I'm trying to make a H bot gantry with 2 stepper motors and 2 stepper drivers DRV8825 and I use a Arduino Mega to control it. Now I'm having a question about the pitch I am hearing when the steppers stop moving. I can let them rotate 2 ways without noise, but when I stop the steppers I am hearing a high pitch and I don't know if this is bad and have to be solved. I googled it, but I can only find topics about a high pitch while trying to move the stepper, but this is not the problem. Can anyone tell me if this is bad and how I can solve this if needed?

Thanks!

__bennie_
Re: Stepper driver DRV8825
September 17, 2015 06:52AM
That whine is a known problem when using DRV8825 drivers with low-current stepper motors. It happens because the DRV8825 has a fixed off-time, which leads to the generation of subharmonics of the chopping frequency under some conditions.

There are a few tricks you can do that might help, see [cabristor.blogspot.co.uk]. Alternatively, use A4982 or A4988 drivers instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login