Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duex/Duet and Stepper Motors

Posted by 3didd 
Duex/Duet and Stepper Motors
September 12, 2015 09:19PM
hey,

I have built a large format printer 405x450x600.
Was trying to get away with using 2x Z Axis Stepper Motors, but I really need 3x Motors, in a Triangle.

Can I please some advice on driving 3x Stepper motors in parallel from the Duet/Duex Boards.
When driving 2x Motors the Chips on the Board get quite warm/almost to warm to touch.
I have added heat sinks and cools fans to the board but I don't want to damage the boards.

I know that someone else must have done this previously as well.

Questions :
Did you use a stepper motor driver amplifier ?

What is Recommended ?
Re: Duex/Duet and Stepper Motors
September 13, 2015 02:35AM
3didd
hey,

I have built a large format printer 405x450x600.
Was trying to get away with using 2x Z Axis Stepper Motors, but I really need 3x Motors, in a Triangle.

Can I please some advice on driving 3x Stepper motors in parallel from the Duet/Duex Boards.
When driving 2x Motors the Chips on the Board get quite warm/almost to warm to touch.
I have added heat sinks and cools fans to the board but I don't want to damage the boards.

I know that someone else must have done this previously as well.

Questions :
Did you use a stepper motor driver amplifier ?

What is Recommended ?

From what I understand it would be much better to run the steppers in serial wiring, that doesn't put as much stress on the drivers.
However, if you do that you might need to get a 24V power supply, I suppose if your motors are rated for 3.8V or less it might work with a 12V supply, but I like to be on the safe side.
I guess that wouldn't be enough either if your motors are rated for more than ~7.5V

Perhaps you could run 2 motors in serial parallel to the third....
But to run them parallel you cannot feed them much current.
September 13, 2015 03:48AM
It would help if we knew the specifications of your stepper motors. Most stepper motors used in 3D printers are better driven in series, not in parallel. As the previous poster says, with 3 motors then you should preferably use a 24V supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2015 07:39AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 13, 2015 06:20AM
ok.

I was not aware of the need to put the motors in Series instead of Parallel.

what we are currently use are your standard Nema17's
The Duet/Duex is driven via a 12v Power Supply.

I will look at 24 volt supplies, this means that we need to change a couple of things to accommodate the 24v supply for sensors etc.
So I was also looking at a bridging circuit to act as a current amplifier circuit.
Attachments:
open | download - 3D Printer Bridging Circuit.jpg (38.8 KB)
September 13, 2015 07:44AM
There is on such thing as 'standard Nema 17s'. You can get Nema motors with a wide variety of rated current/resistance/inductance parameters.

Going to 24V has implications for the bed and hot end heaters and the fans. An advantage of using 24V is that that the required bed heater current is halved.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 18, 2015 05:18AM
Hi,

Can any one suggest me regarding power supply to the duet controller board?
I'm planning to supply 24V to stepper motors and heat bed to get better performance from them ( as the higher the voltage, the more you will get torque) so
If i use 24V as input to duet controller board will it able to withstand? and can it perform well ?

Shall i go for 24V or 12V if i use Duet board ?

what are other things that i need to take care about if i use 24V as input to the controller

Thank you in advance.
December 18, 2015 08:18AM
24V doesn't give you higher stepper motor torque, but it does potentially give higher maximum speed. This is especially the case if you use 0.9deg/step motors or Nema 23 motors, because both produce more back emf at a given speed than 1.8deg/step Nema 17 motors.

Another advantage of 24V is that for constant power, the bed heater current is halved, which is a big advantage for larger heated beds.

The Duet can handle input voltages up to 30V. I use 24V to power my Duet-driven large Kossel printer. You need to make sure that your bed heater, nozzle heaters and fans are intended for 24V operation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 08:19AM by dc42.

December 19, 2015 12:11AM
yeah the more voltage more speed can it be

but 'm planning to use nema 23 motor for only z axis ( in my new crane style model 3D printer) the other two is nema 17 motors may be i have to think once again which is better voltage

So as per u're sayings it is applicable to both duet boards (i.e. Duet 0.6 and Duet 0.85) can run with 24 volts right? or only Duet 0.85 because i'm planning to buy Duet 0.6

Thank you

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 12:43AM by Kana Padmaja.
December 19, 2015 02:35AM
All versions of the Duet are OK at up to 30V or even a little more.

January 27, 2016 06:54AM
hi,
Can i use industrial power supply directly giving 12V which is 300 wattage power of 25A rated
January 27, 2016 05:47PM
Yes, 12V 300W is a reasonable and popular choice for 3D printers using a standard 210mm square heated bed. For larger beds, 24V power is preferred.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login