Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 5V regulator

Posted by sungod3k 
Duet 5V regulator
September 11, 2015 12:08AM
Hey,

I just received my Duet and I have a 5V regulator from replikeo as well [www.replikeo.com] but they dont have a guide on how to install it.
From the foto I can see how it is wired, but does that mean I just have one 12V PSU goinf over the regulator into the main power terminal and thats it? and can I still plug in a normal USB cable to program the board without risking interference on the 5V line? (and/ or does that need to be jumpered somehow?)

Cheers
Re: Duet 5V regulator
September 11, 2015 02:35AM
sungod3k
Hey,

I just received my Duet and I have a 5V regulator from replikeo as well [www.replikeo.com] but they dont have a guide on how to install it.
From the foto I can see how it is wired, but does that mean I just have one 12V PSU goinf over the regulator into the main power terminal and thats it? and can I still plug in a normal USB cable to program the board without risking interference on the 5V line? (and/ or does that need to be jumpered somehow?)

Cheers

You do not need to use the separate 5V regulator at all, there's an on-board regulator that will suffice in most cases.
September 11, 2015 02:58AM
If you do want to use it, head over to reprappro.com and look at the Ormerod 2 wiring instructions. Bur as Koenig said, you can use the on board switching regulator instead. RepRapPro introduced the external regulator because they wanted to be able to claim CE certification for an assembled printer, and the switching regulator generates too much EMI for that.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 11, 2015 03:29AM
Yes I found those instruction but their regulator is only connected via main cables, the one from replikeo has another 3 pin connection, but it looks simple enough from th wiring instructions.

if we're just on that: I assume that the power management of the heated bed is a bit better than on the ramps in terms of being able to handle more current. is that true? or should I keep my relay+external PSU configuration. Im basing that on the diagram [uet_Duex4_wiring.svg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">reprap.org] on the wiki but then again I dont see fuses for the bed (or anything else for that matter) shouldnt there be fuses? grinning smiley
September 11, 2015 05:04AM
If you look at the pictures at [reprappro.com] you will see that the 3 pin connector on the 5V regulator board mates with the one on the Duet. However, most people using the Duet outside of one of RepRapPro's kits enable the on-board switching regulator instead by putting a jumper across the 5V_EN pins.

The mosfet on the Duet should have no problem handling 15A, but I'm not sure about the heated bed terminal block and the PCB traces. The Duet 0.8.5 uses a larger terminal block, the same size as the power input block.

Power supplies used for 3D printers are generally short circuit protected (even the cheap Chinese LED ones are), so fuses don't really add anything. So most electronics other than RAMPS doesn't have fuses.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 11, 2015 06:20PM
Alright that works I have power and USB connection with the modulator. As for the heated bed Ill stick to the relays for now.
September 11, 2015 08:18PM
Im trying to install your firmware DC with the latest Arduino and Bossa but I guess I have one of the AMD systems that is mentioned here

"There are reports that the USB controller in some AMD-based systems has difficulty communicating with SAM devices. The only known workaround is to use a different, preferably Intel-based, system."
I tried on my laptop which is Intel but the bossa has trouble with Win10 compatibility

Are there any other programs that can flash the Duet or do I need to revert to the 1.6.1 Arduino with the native bossa?

Update: It works with 1.6.1. I hope thats easier with the 0.85 revison grinning smiley

Thanks for the help

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2015 11:11PM by sungod3k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login