Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prototype Stepper Motor Shield Fabricated

Posted by thereza 
Prototype Stepper Motor Shield Fabricated
August 14, 2010 09:31PM
Hi all-

I've finished building out a stepper motor shield for the Arduino for use with my rStep arduino g-code interpreter and thought there might be some interest here. The project is all open-source aimed at simplifying the implementation of a 3-axis stepper system. Some of it's features include

• 35V @ 2A Maximum per winding
  • Software controllable fractional stepping (1,1/2,1/4,1/16)
  • Opto-Isolated limit switch inputs
  • E-Stop or Auto-Z input (Optically Isolated)
  • PWM controlled DC Spindle Control (100V @ 17A)
  • Status LED
  • LC filter for supply noise isolation
  • Software controlled current per axis

There is no reason it can't be used with the reprap arudino software. It still needs some testing, and I'm looking for a parter to act as a distributor -- or feel free to just take over all aspects of production & sales (I'm doing this to help the community, not for profit).

[groups.google.com]

-Reza
Attachments:
open | download - P1040207.JPG (298.7 KB)
Re: Prototype Stepper Motor Shield Fabricated
August 15, 2010 12:15PM
I don't like the screw terminals that much. It seems like they become disconnected a lot more than any of my other connectors.

The extruder board can drive two DC motors or one stepper motor. Having the option of a fourth stepper motor is useful because the Mendel design calls for 4 steppers.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
August 25, 2010 03:43AM
I did some tests, and wasn't able to get the cable to come detached from the screw terminal. Perhaps your not tightening it enough or not using the correct gauge wire for the terminal block.

Reza
VDX
August 25, 2010 04:10AM
... if you use the correct end splices, screw terminals are more reliable, than plugs ... when fixing only 'naked' wires, you can either overdrive the screw, so you cut the wires - or with several bendings it will break at the bending point near the end of the coating ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 25, 2010 04:38AM
what kind of abuse do wires experience in a reprap machine?
VDX
August 25, 2010 04:44AM
... mainly shortings or when disconnecting the motor wires while running, the stepperdrivers will blow ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Reza
August 25, 2010 05:38AM
I mean, how much motion is there between the wires and the controller? Why not add strain releif before the connection if it's a problem, like a zip tie?
VDX
August 25, 2010 06:05AM
... this would help a lot - but you have constant vibrations with the steppers running, so a wire-break can encounter any time, even without touching or bending it eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

August 25, 2010 06:31AM
I have had no end of problems with connectors on my machines. I don't know what it is but I suspect that maybe the ABS fumes affect the contacts. Things will stop working properly and removing and reseating the connectors fixes it.

Also crimp and IDC are hard to do without the proper tools. I usually end up soldering them to get them reliable.

I think I will move to screw connectors and use ferrules on the wire ends. That seems to be the quickest and easiest way to make a reliable termination without special tools. I just insert the wire in a ferrule and squeeze it with pliers to secure it. I then insert it into the terminal block and screw down onto it. Seems to produce a good reliable connection.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 20, 2010 11:05AM
Congratulations for this stage. Looks like a great work!
Dear Thereza,

What is the current status of your project?
It's amazing how professional work you have done. I am really interested , please let me know if you need further tester/contributor.

Waiting for your feedback

Best regards:
James133
October 29, 2010 03:30AM
http://reprap.org/wiki/RStep?smiling bouncing smiley

Do join us in reprap-dev:
[reprap.org]
since you're a developer. smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 03:30AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
December 17, 2010 08:06PM
I have been using the IDC connectors since Vero first introduced the in the late 70's my Nascom 1 had plenty of IC skt IDC connections. I've been using them and re-using them for years with just a starndard vice for making and a scaple for opening them to re-use them. For the IC SKT type I still have my 1970s collection of soft wood blocks with the collet type IC skts pressed into the soft wood block so IC DILL Pin IDC's can be made in a vice. The vero rep was quite disapointed as back then the press and the idividual aluminum IDC press dies were very expensive.

The only crucial part of using IDC is alining the wires correctly before clamping the vice shut.
With care an IDC can be re-used at least 5 times for my reprap builds I've only used old PC serial cables by removing the IDC connector and using the colourd ribbon IDC cable. The IDC press maintains align ment as it holds the ribon cable flat and at 90o to the connector body.

The my old Vero resistor colour coded ribbon cable has an almost flat side and the rounded side the rounded side should be used for the cutting side of IDC pins to locate their V shape cutting blades into. Not sure if the more recent ribbon cable has the same properties.

The screw terminals are only tricky if the wire is inserted under the connection clap plate. I prefer to tin the wires going into these terminals to ensure a good conection. I personaly do not like the car type crimp terminals as I have seen many fail. Because of this I always solder any crimp terminals... this kind of defeats the quick connection idea of crimp terminals.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login