Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet, Z Probe, and Z Min End Stop

Posted by ElmoC 
Duet, Z Probe, and Z Min End Stop
September 07, 2015 06:21PM
I am working on a CoreXY printer and just finishing it up. I have added dc42's great IR sensor and now trying to get everything setup. I originally went went a Smoothieboard for the controller, but the more I use and work with it, the less impressed I am with it. It seems that Smoothieware does not support using the Z Probe as the Z Min End Stop. Maybe I have become spoiled with my Printrbot Simple Metal that uses a sensor for both the bed leveling and end stop. It seems Smoothieware doesn't support this. I'm wanting to see if the firmware Duet uses (RepRap?) does. I don't see the value of doubling up on sensors to do basically the same job a single sensor can do.

Also, does anyone know if the Duet has a US distributor?
Re: Duet, Z Probe, and Z Min End Stop
September 07, 2015 07:22PM
Hi ElmoC,

1. The Duet does not yet have a US distributor, but I believe T3P3 is seeking one for the Duet 0.8.5.

2. It's common practice on most non-delta printers using Duet electronics to use the Z probe to home the Z axis. Some Cartesian printers also use the Z probe sensor to home the X axis, so the only microswitch is on the Y axis.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 07, 2015 07:29PM
Just to be clear, I can use just the IR Probe for both bed leveling and Z min endstop?

I did find one place that listed the Duet for USD, but I'm thinking it may either have been a knock-off or the older version of the board.

dc42
Hi ElmoC,

1. The Duet does not yet have a US distributor, but I believe T3P3 is seeking one for the Duet 0.8.5.

2. It's common practice on most non-delta printers using Duet electronics to use the Z probe to home the Z axis. Some Cartesian printers also use the Z probe sensor to home the X axis, so the only microswitch is on the Y axis.

HTH David
September 08, 2015 03:42AM
Yes, if you have a Z probe then you dont need a Z min endstop.

There are currently 3 sources of Duet boards. RepRapPro in the UK sells the version 0.6 board. Think3DPrint3D also in the UK sells the newer 0.8.5 board. Replikeo in HK sells the 0.6 board as well. It's very cheap at just $50 but some users have had to return boards because of manufacturing defects.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 01, 2016 02:05PM
Jumping in here: I have a endstop based z probe and I hard time finding the pins. Im looking for a z min endstop pins. The only stuff I could find is wiring instructions for proximity probe (capacitive or IR). Is that even possible on the DUET or do I need to switch to different probe?

Usind Duet 0.6 btw

never mind: I just found this on DC42s blog
Type 4: a microswitch wired to the E0 endstop pins of the Duet. The switch should be closed when the Z probe is deployed but not touching he bed, and open when the probe is deployed and pressed against the bed. For safety, when the probe is not deployed, it should be open.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 02:17PM by sungod3k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login