Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet pause/resume button

Posted by PRZ 
PRZ
Duet pause/resume button
July 27, 2015 08:06AM
Hello,
I own a RRP Fisher Delta that I moved a bit away from the computer for noise reasons (fan).
It is powered by a duet board.
For the duet, no simple LCD panel is available. There is a sophisticated touchscreen panel, developed by DC42, which is above my needs (yet).
I think it could be very useful to have a pause/resume button (preferably with both orders done with the same button).
The duet is equipped with an extension connector with a few switch pins available. However, on the fisher, the E-switch is not available, as it is used for the bed probe.
Is there any possibility on the duet to link either a pin status or a momentary activation to a macro ? That will open the possibilities of minimal local command.
Regards, Pierre
Re: Duet pause/resume button
July 27, 2015 09:07AM
It could certainly be done. But once you have a pause/resume button, I think you will very quickly want other control features too. So I suggest you either get the touch screen control panel, or use a cheap tablet computer near the printer to access the web interface. Or a smartphone.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
PRZ
July 27, 2015 09:34AM
Yes, the tendancy to want more and more control is unavoidable, and I may end up buying the touchscreen panel smiling smiley but not now.

Also, your panel is only sold by Think3DPrint3D (and you), which is ok, but I am a bit surprised that RRP did not support it, as there is no alternative solution. I am very happy with the duet setup, which have many advantages over other solutions, but the lack of a cheap panel is a weakness in my view.

However, most of my needs are really a pause, and this is a bit specific.
I am mostly printing PETG, and without a heated bed, the first layer is problematic and I frequently pause just to remove some extra blob which make the hotend scratching the print. This is related to the super fast hardening of the PETG (without fan).
PLA first layer are not immune to problems and I had also to pause sometimes, but PLA is more tolerant as on the first layer it is refused by the slow speed.
July 27, 2015 02:00PM
I was originally going to make a cheap mono graphics panel for the Duet, similar to the ones available for other printer electronics. However, when I canvassed opinion on the Ormerod forum, everyone wanted a colour touch screen instead, despite the additional cost. So that is what I ended up making. Btw I reduced the price of the Panel Due controller board recently, it's now about £10 less than when I introduced it.

If the demand were there, I would do a low-cost panel as well. But the demand for an LCD panel for the Duet is low - probably because the web interface is so good, and can be used form a tablet or smartphone. However, I do find the touch panel more convenient to use for most operations, simply because it is mounted on the printer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

PRZ
September 25, 2015 10:04AM
At least, with actual DC42 firmware, it might be possible to make a physical resume button with a waiting command :
M577 E1 S1 ; wait that the E1 extruder endstop is triggered

But the problem is I did't find any information about the pin which correspond to the E1 endstop on the expansion connector (E0 endstop is already used for calibration sensor).
I loaded Kicad (200 Mb !) and try to look the schematic of the Duex4, but the files supplied on Github does not load on Kicad, calling for a 'special' library.
In fact, I found no information about the expansion connector pins, except a post of T3P3 about the output pin here [forums.reprap.org] , but no info about the input pins.

A command M600 pause for filament change and could be used for pausing, but it is not implemented in RepRap Firmware.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 10:09AM by PRZ.
September 25, 2015 10:31AM
From the firmware Platform.h file:

#define END_STOP_PINS {11, 28, 60, 31, 24, 46, 45, 44, X9} // E0 stop used for switch-type Z probe, others not currently used

So the E1 input used Arduino Due pin number 24. But a better way of getting the pin number is to pick up endStopPins[E0_AXIS + 1] in class Platform.

PRZ
September 25, 2015 11:12AM
Thank you, I have seen that module but I lacked infos, notably the drive order and what the pin number was reffering to:
From your post, I assume the drive order is X,Y,Z,E0,E1,E2,E3,E4,E5 ?
and that the pin number is what is called digital pin in Arduino Due ?

On the Arduino Due schematic, the digital pin 24 is A.15, corresponding to processor physical pin 8,
The processor pin 8 is named CTS1 (pin CTS1/PA15) on the duet.
CTS1 is the pin 9 on the expansion connector.
Is that correct ?
September 25, 2015 01:21PM
Yes, the DueX4 schematic shows E1_STOP connected to CTS1 on the expansion connector.

PRZ
September 25, 2015 01:27PM
That did not work on DC42 branch rev 1.09k.
The command M577 is told to be invalid. Indeed, it is indicated on the reprap G-code page that this is valid for ZPL branch, without indication of validity on DC42 branch. I was assuming (wrongly it seems), that the ZPL and DC42 branch were somewhat merged.

My contact ground the pin 9 when I push the button, so I done :
M574 E11 S0 ;indicates that E1 have a low end end stop, active low - it seems not being taken into account

And the waiting command might be
M577 E1 S1
September 25, 2015 01:35PM
I wasn't aware that zpl had implemented M577. It's not implemented in my fork. After I implemented nested macros, zpl decided to implement them in a completely different way, and as a result it is no longer possible to merge our changes to the gcodes processing module.

I'll look at implementing M577 or something similar in my next release.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login