Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Makerbot electronics required modification, now they dont?

Posted by AgeingHippy 
First Makerbot electronics required modification, now they dont?
July 12, 2010 08:46AM
Hello All

I wonder if anyone could clarify a few points for me.

Initially there were a number of modifications required to be made to the Makerbot Gen 3 electronics to match up to the reprap specification.

Now I see the page PCB adaptions for Mendel states only 2 headers need to be added.

WTF?? how come the modifications required have changed so radically?

Why can we not see who has made the latest changes? This might allow us to guage the validity etc.

Although I have purchased the parts I of course would want to mess with the boards as little as possible. Still looking for a space in York to work so everything is still packed up.

What about firmware? I gather the makerbot and reprap firmware differs. Would reprap firmware work on these 'unmodified' makerbot boards?

Cheers
Re: First Makerbot electronics required modification, now they dont?
July 12, 2010 09:00AM
NicholasCLewis
Before making these modifications to your brand new boards consider the following option.

All of the modifications are still there, it was just an additional option suggested by NicholasCLewis.

Click on the History tab:
The change was made on 07:54, 20 June 2010 by NicholasCLewis.

If you want to use the RepRap Host then you should use the RepRap FW.

Also the MakerBot FW is setup to use a DC motor for the extruder and not a stepper motor.
And of course the settings for STEP_PER_MM and other setting would also have to be changed if you are using a Mendel design with the MakerBot FW.

Although making the changes to the boards is a real pain you end up with much cleaner wiring by making the changes.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 12, 2010 10:34AM
Most of the changes of connectors are because of mechanical considerations rather than an electronics reason. If you don't make the changes then you can't fit the boards to the machine in the intended places. For example, the boards are designed to be connected to the drive connectors and motherboard connector of a PC PSU. You can't do that when mounted on a Mendel because the PSU leads wont reach, and the tall power connectors on the stepper drivers foul the y-chassis.

If you mount the boards close together with a PC PSU and use Ethernet cables to wire your endstops then you only need the extra two wires to the extruder controller and possibly have to do something in firmware to switch the PC PSU on.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 12, 2010 01:41PM
Actually, with some low profile Molex connectors and switching the circuit board mounting sheet to the other side of Mendel, you can use the ATX power supply connected directly to the motherboard, no electronic modifications required. I also use the RJ45 connectors on the endstops, but only on the stepper driver side - I just solder the endstop wires to the pcb to save space.

Here's a photo:
[gallery.me.com]

I didn't see a need for all the modifications either.

Wade
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login