Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new low-cost diy electronic part 3d printer project

Posted by romelectr0 
new low-cost diy electronic part 3d printer project
May 08, 2015 12:13PM
hello ,
i actually work on a prototype of a new low-cost electronic design for a 3d printer i just doing the code at this time , the design use a arduino uno or a atmega328 + a ttl USB to serial adapter it use two adafruit motors shields and one Nokia 5510 lcd screen it's my first 3d printer design , and i would like to see what you think about the code and if it can work my github repository is here : link to my github repository
Re: new low-cost diy electronic part 3d printer project
May 08, 2015 02:24PM
sorry i am new on the forum and i am don't not were i should post my topic
May 08, 2015 03:13PM
The Controllers forum is probably the best place. A mod will probably be along in a bit to move it there.

Welcome to the site.
May 08, 2015 03:47PM
I just replied in the General section, but the topic has been deleted now. My reply seems to have disappeared.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 08, 2015 03:49PM
I got the text of my reply back by pressing the Back button enough times Here it is:

If you are looking to build a new controller based on an Arduino. then the Uno is a very poor platform to start from. The 8-bit Arduinos are past their sell-by date for anything as demanding as a 3D printer. They struggle to generate step pulses fast enough at high movements speeds, and their slow USB-over-serial interface makes an SD card add-on more or less mandatory. The 32K flash memory and 2K RAM on the Uno are totally inadequate to run any decent 3D printing software.

You could take a look at the new Arduino Zero, which is a 32-bit board with 256K flash memory and 32K RAM, and (I think) a native USB port, and looks to be intended as a replacement for the Uno.

The Arduino motor shields I have seen (including the Adafruit one which I just looked up) are totally useless for running the stepper motors on a 3D printer.The technologies and chips on those shields went out with the ark, and IMO nobody should be selling those boards any more. For a 3D printer, you need proper constant-current stepper motor chips, such as the A4982, A4988, DRV8825, and other more recent chips.

I think a RAMPS-like board designed for the Arduino Zero would be a possibility. But don't make the mistake of thinking that you can drive the mosfets (in particular, the heated bed mosfet) directly from the 3.3V output from the Zero, and get reliable results over a large number of users. You need to use a chip to boost the mosfet gate drive to at least 5V.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 08, 2015 05:17PM
tank for you reply smiling smiley i have made few test with stepper like nema17 and it work but it will be very slow one motor can be activate at the same time and not with very high resolution
May 08, 2015 05:32PM
hello again . i just saw the datasheet of the DRV8825 and i think i will add few stepper driver to my design that can drive more current and use less pins it will be usefull . thank again smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login