Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
January 07, 2016 05:04PM
That's a handy feature for those larger, filament lurking monsters. Btw, It wasn't my intention to burn down the duet or its firmware. I actually had one in my shopping basket for quite some time. I just happened to prefer the features of smoothieware, and octoprint, from a, for me, inuitive pov.
January 07, 2016 08:59PM
Hell, all of these gcode interpreters like octoprint put me off as I am so familiar with pronterface. I tried to use repetier last year and I gave up on it. I used to use it for the gcode viewer when I used slic3r to verify things but I now I don't even have it installed anymore.

So, any new program to take over for pronterface I am nervous about and taking over Marlin I am extremely apprehensive about since I know it so well and can get in and write code for it since I know C/C++ and is my preferred language (in my younger days and non x86 I preferred ASM and ML) so anything that doesn't use C/C++ is out for me.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
January 08, 2016 02:31PM
I still haven't tried Octofab yet, but I fully intend to this weekend. I am happy to report my SBASE has been rock solid since I fixed the Ethernet bug.

On another note, I've been intrigued enough to order a Duet too. smiling smiley I found a good deal on v0.6, there's a guy in Canada who has a surplus of them that were custom made for some project. According to the listing they are assembled with high spec passives, 2oz copper, EING plating, etc. He's selling them on ebay for $65 USD shipped so I figured what the heck.

Now to start understating what the different forks of firmware offer...
January 08, 2016 03:21PM
w3drk
I still haven't tried Octofab yet, but I fully intend to this weekend. I am happy to report my SBASE has been rock solid since I fixed the Ethernet bug.

On another note, I've been intrigued enough to order a Duet too. smiling smiley I found a good deal on v0.6, there's a guy in Canada who has a surplus of them that were custom made for some project. According to the listing they are assembled with high spec passives, 2oz copper, EING plating, etc. He's selling them on ebay for $65 USD shipped so I figured what the heck.

Now that is very interesting Might have to spring for one of them at that price myself even tho I am in the UK.

Doug
January 08, 2016 06:31PM
w3drk

I see it but there is supposed to be a big difference between the two versions only I can't remember what it is now. I think it was described to me earlier in this thread so off I go look.

edit: Nope, didn't spot it but there is a big difference between them (and I Googled and the difference I spotted was 4 vs 5 motors so only a single extruder with 0.6) and on eBay that CA seller US $63.99 Buy It Now Shipping: approx. US $3.56

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 06:40PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
January 08, 2016 07:02PM
Another difference if I recall correctly is the pull ups, the 0.6 uses 1K and the 0.8.5 4.7K

Dark Alchemist
w3drk

I see it but there is supposed to be a big difference between the two versions only I can't remember what it is now. I think it was described to me earlier in this thread so off I go look.

edit: Nope, didn't spot it but there is a big difference between them (and I Googled and the difference I spotted was 4 vs 5 motors so only a single extruder with 0.6) and on eBay that CA seller US $63.99 Buy It Now Shipping: approx. US $3.56
January 09, 2016 12:29AM
Not sure what pull ups matter though but isn't 4.7k more of the norm for 5v logic?

_______
January 09, 2016 02:50AM
The original Duet 0.6 used 1K thermistor series resistors, but this was changed to 4.7K sometime in 2014. Replikeo appears not to have picked up this change and still uses 1K in the Duets they ship. A small proportion of boards with 1K resistors report temperature errors when the hot end temperature is below about 10C, that's why the resistor value was changed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2016 10:17AM
Sbase has uart? I just find Nextion lcd [www.indiegogo.com] and I thought to myself can I connect to sbase, and if yes than how?
January 09, 2016 01:48PM
shteecers
Sbase has uart? I just find Nextion lcd [www.indiegogo.com] and I thought to myself can I connect to sbase, and if yes than how?

SBase ( and all Smoothie-based boards ) definitely have UART : you can't get the board to work at all without first flashing the bootloader via uart at the factory, so it *has* to be broken out.

About nextion, I bought a few, because I wanted to make a 3D printer control screen with it that could be connected ( via UART ) to Smoothieboard ( and other controllers, no reason it wouldn't work for others really ).

The thing is : nextion is an IMU : you have to first *design* an interface, and flash it to the board. To do that, you need to use Nextion's software, and last time I tried it, it was nearly un-usable, probably way too young.

If it has matured since, it'd be awesome if somebody coded an interface for it. If somebody wants to have a try at it, I can send you a free nextion.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2016 01:49PM by arthurwolf.
January 11, 2016 04:55AM
An update on the support of sbase (i bought the board directly from sbase) Sbase isn't in in for the service. I suggested them to make the change in regards to the LAN adapter, pointing to the findings of w3drk, and the error the lan enablement causes. they do feel responsible to change the boards, but won't ship a new one. (i'm lucky if i could buy a new one, so it seems)

I think that's just wrong, since they have been 'tweaking' the LAN issue by hand, they are aware, and still unable to provide a tested/working board.

I also suggested to contribute a fee to the smoothieware creators for every board sold, but that was completely ignored as well. They have to respect the opensource policies IMO.

Too bad the company shows its true nature, the world could have been a nicer place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 04:56AM by to3dornottobe.
January 11, 2016 07:03AM
That's about the response I would have expected. It's unfortunate, but I've been down that road before with Chinese amateur radio equipment. At least in this case it's an easy fix for folks who have the means, but I fear there will be many who don't.

As far as their failure to entertain the notion of kicking back some royalties to the Smoothie guys, why not just send them a donation instead?

My experience with the eBay seller was pretty good. They offered to send a 2nd board for me to rework which is on it's way now. I know that's not a workable solution for many, but in my case I ended up with a spare that will take me 5 minutes to fix.

I still haven't messed with Optofab. My Ord Bot is torn apart at the moment (long story--I'm not happy with Automation Technologies at the moment), but once I get it sorted and back together I hope to test that out.
January 11, 2016 08:17AM
There is a reason I was elated to hear that China has begun a downward economic slump and all of that is why. Sorry, I have total disdain for the manufacturers from that country and the junk they make (like almost everything you buy destined for other countries the ground wire is never attached making these 120vac/240vac potential death magnets).

At least now we know to stay the hell away from SBASE if on principle alone.

_______
January 14, 2016 08:53AM
So, the 2nd SBASE provided by the eBay seller arrived yesterday. Other than the package looking like my mailman sat it on it, the board itself looks as nice as the first. No signs of anyone bodging around the resonator, but there's a 1 meg resistor in place of where load caps would normally be just like my first board. It appears to be a production thing since it doesn't look hand soldered like to3dornottobe's copy.

I haven't had a chance to do any thorough testing yet, but I did power it up and try the LAN connection to see what happens. Just like my first board it doesn't connect on the first try...only a rapidly blinking LED and nearly 100% packet loss. But after disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable a few times it finally managed to connect to my switch and began working. So it has the exact same problem as my first board which means the MKS SBASE is now 0 and 2 with me. Or 0 and 3 if you include to3dornottobe's copy. Not good for Makerbase...hopefully they're not selling a lot of these or there will be a ton of disappointed customers! I wonder why the earlier boards mentioned in this topic didn't exhibit this problem? LOL maybe Arthur should offer a trade-up program for the Real McCoy? ;-)

Anyway, my plan with this board is to document the rework in-case anyone else needs to "fix" their SBASE so it works properly.

In the meantime I'm awaiting my Canadian Duet to arrive so I can get familiar with that, and I also have a CRAMPS board on the way so I can also get some exposure to Machinekit/LinuxCNC. I already have a BeagleBoneBlack and have the latest Machinekit image installed, updated, and running. So, lots of exciting stuff to learn.
January 14, 2016 11:17AM
w3drk
So, the 2nd SBASE provided by the eBay seller arrived yesterday. Other than the package looking like my mailman sat it on it, the board itself looks as nice as the first. No signs of anyone bodging around the resonator, but there's a 1 meg resistor in place of where load caps would normally be just like my first board. It appears to be a production thing since it doesn't look hand soldered like to3dornottobe's copy.

I haven't had a chance to do any thorough testing yet, but I did power it up and try the LAN connection to see what happens. Just like my first board it doesn't connect on the first try...only a rapidly blinking LED and nearly 100% packet loss. But after disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable a few times it finally managed to connect to my switch and began working. So it has the exact same problem as my first board which means the MKS SBASE is now 0 and 2 with me. Or 0 and 3 if you include to3dornottobe's copy. Not good for Makerbase...hopefully they're not selling a lot of these or there will be a ton of disappointed customers! I wonder why the earlier boards mentioned in this topic didn't exhibit this problem? LOL maybe Arthur should offer a trade-up program for the Real McCoy? ;-)

Anyway, my plan with this board is to document the rework in-case anyone else needs to "fix" their SBASE so it works properly.

In the meantime I'm awaiting my Canadian Duet to arrive so I can get familiar with that, and I also have a CRAMPS board on the way so I can also get some exposure to Machinekit/LinuxCNC. I already have a BeagleBoneBlack and have the latest Machinekit image installed, updated, and running. So, lots of exciting stuff to learn.
Another to consider is how bitchy the open hardware community is if some poor soul goes out trying to find a fix. Do NOT bring up this board on the irc channel or you will want to murder a lot of people as they will bitch you out and flat out tell you to go eff yourself as they will not help you with this board since it is closed source and is not good for the open source/hardware/reprap community.

You have been pre warned as to what they will do to you (the big name channel thugs in there).

_______
January 14, 2016 02:19PM
@Dark Alchemist Now see, I have to disagree with you there. Normally I'd just ignore a post like yours since it's pointless to do otherwise, but I think its rather unfair to stereotype the open hardware community as being "bitchy". If you feel that way, why are you even participating in a RepRap forum? How many open hardware projects have you participated in or contributed to? Somehow I imagine the answer is "not many" or perhaps even none. So where do you get the cognizance that gives you the right to accuse an entire community of being "bitchy"? I don't believe in bragging about ones credentials to try and earn respect, but I've been involved in a few open hardware projects so I personally take offense to that.

I (briefly) worked with both Arthur and Jim on a bug I was experiencing with Smoothieware on my SBASE and both of them were aware I was using this board. Both of them were helpful and as a result of my problem, a fix was applied to Smoothieware and the bug was resolved within a matter of hours of opening the issue on GitHub. So I personally think your accusation is completely unfounded. A little piece of advice: If you wish to maintain a little credibility, please-think before you speak. Try to reduce the emotion and stick to the facts, because you come off sounding like an angry teenager.

In fact, after re-reading this entire thread it seems that you haven't contributed anything to this topic besides throwing opinions around, insulting the Smoothieware developers, myself, and likely any Chinese citizen who may stumble upon this thread. Ultimately, the point of a technical internet forum is to share knowledge in an effort to help other like-minded individuals, and I'm afraid you appear to be doing very little of that.
January 14, 2016 03:06PM
Dark Alchemist
Another to consider is how bitchy the open hardware community is if some poor soul goes out trying to find a fix. Do NOT bring up this board on the irc channel or you will want to murder a lot of people as they will bitch you out and flat out tell you to go eff yourself as they will not help you with this board

That is most definitely not true. We would never tell somebody to go eff themselves for having a MKS board, and we would most likely help that person.

We would *probably* make them aware that the board is not open-source and that they should *also* ask the seller for help. And you know why we say that to people ? Because we've met *many* people that are *not aware* that the MKS SBASE is not open-source ! And they are glad we told them when they discover it isn't. This is important information to some persons !

I looked for your nick in the Smoothieware IRC channel, and didn't find any place where you got received the way you described. Maybe you were using another nick ?

Please provide me with a nickname and an approximate time so I can evaluate your claim that people get "told to go eff themselves".

Thank you.
January 14, 2016 04:05PM
arthurwolf
Dark Alchemist
Another to consider is how bitchy the open hardware community is if some poor soul goes out trying to find a fix. Do NOT bring up this board on the irc channel or you will want to murder a lot of people as they will bitch you out and flat out tell you to go eff yourself as they will not help you with this board

That is most definitely not true. We would never tell somebody to go eff themselves for having a MKS board, and we would most likely help that person.

We would *probably* make them aware that the board is not open-source and that they should *also* ask the seller for help. And you know why we say that to people ? Because we've met *many* people that are *not aware* that the MKS SBASE is not open-source ! And they are glad we told them when they discover it isn't. This is important information to some persons !

I looked for your nick in the Smoothieware IRC channel, and didn't find any place where you got received the way you described. Maybe you were using another nick ?

Please provide me with a nickname and an approximate time so I can evaluate your claim that people get "told to go eff themselves".

Thank you.
Well, not you but one of them because that irc channel has become a smoothie barker channel. All things smoothie it seems and I will say you (as in a broad sense not you directly) didn't "probably" tell me that it wasn't open source I actually felt screamed at when I brought it up by ccecil. I was strictly told I would get no support on the channel, or even discussion, about that board since it does not support the open community. Going in there to even discuss Ramps I keep getting a sense that it is antiquated and I am even told to get a smoothie. Every single time I see anyone bring up any hardware I see someone, or a lot of someones, say "get a smoothie". That irc channel is not supposed to be a personal Smoothie barker channel. Smoothie has its own channel for stuff like that but irc is not what it used to be and this elitism trait that is in there is bad. I don't care if the elitists all come on here and defend it but many left that channel due to it. Many posts, and replies, at how bad it has become.

Now race to defend it I could care less but facts are facts and if kthx was on there go read the logs for the last week when SBASE was brought up. Do a check with case sensitivity on.

edit: I wanted to add the eff myself was via a private tell but I still consider that the open source community. Maybe it is my fault for interlinking the IRC with the OS community because I don't think they are one in the same anymore as I have seen a lot of nice people doing all sorts of stuff in the OS community whereas the snobs and the "must be a smoothie or else" types hang out in IRC. As I said it wasn't always that way it has just become that way and my warnings remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 04:18PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
January 14, 2016 04:17PM
I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the Smoothieware channel, not the reprap channel ...

Smoothie sure has it's supporters in there ( #reprap ), and it's a place where a lot of debate happens, but you'll also find people there that find that Smoothie is crap, or that MKS SBASE is awesome, or that Open-Source doesn't matter.
It's also full of trolls. But all of the internet is really.
Just getting upset because somebody disagreed with you on a 500-persons IRC channel doesn't sound reasonable. You could have come at another time and found people that would have agreed with you.

I still can't find the discution you are referring to. I searched, case-insensitively, for "DarkAlchemist", "MKS SBASE", "MKS", and "SBASE", and found no conversation last week.

There was one yesterday, and one at the end of december, but nothing in between.

Could you please give me either a date, or your nick on the channel ( that'd be the most useful ), or some specific word that was said ? I really want to locate that conversation.
January 14, 2016 04:20PM
arthurwolf
I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the Smoothieware channel, not the reprap channel ...

Smoothie sure has it's supporters in there ( #reprap ), and it's a place where a lot of debate happens, but you'll also find people there that find that Smoothie is crap, or that MKS SBASE is awesome, or that Open-Source doesn't matter.
It's also full of trolls. But all of the internet is really.
Just getting upset because somebody disagreed with you on a 500-persons IRC channel doesn't sound reasonable. You could have come at another time and found people that would have agreed with you.

I still can't find the discution you are referring to. I searched, case-insensitively, for "DarkAlchemist", "MKS SBASE", "MKS", and "SBASE", and found no conversation last week.

There was one yesterday, and one at the end of december, but nothing in between.

Could you please give me either a date, or your nick on the channel ( that'd be the most useful ), or some specific word that was said ? I really want to locate that conversation.
No, Arthur not the actual smoothieware channel because when I go in there I expect to only talk about smoothie (hence the channel name). The #reprap is a mean mean place over the last few years and sorry I didn't say the actual channel name as the #smoothieware is a lot better of a channel in my opinion but I haven't been in there in maybe a year so my info about it is stale at best though I don't think the actual users in there have and that is a good thing because the last time I was in there it felt like the old #reprap circa 2010-2012.

As far as a name I don't know it auto assigned a guest name but, as I said, this is in #reprap not the smoothie channel. Look for SBASE as I used that capitalized like that several times in the last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 04:22PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
January 14, 2016 04:24PM
I've been grepping the #reprap logs for the past month and can't find the discution you described this way : « Do NOT bring up this board on the irc channel or you will want to murder a lot of people as they will bitch you out and flat out tell you to go eff yourself as they will not help you with this board since it is closed source and is not good for the open source/hardware/reprap community. »

Do you remember what nick you were using, or the date, or the some specific word that was used ( "mks" and "sbase" didn't yield any discution looking anything like what you mention ) ?
January 14, 2016 05:17PM
arthurwolf
I've been grepping the #reprap logs for the past month and can't find the discution you described this way : « Do NOT bring up this board on the irc channel or you will want to murder a lot of people as they will bitch you out and flat out tell you to go eff yourself as they will not help you with this board since it is closed source and is not good for the open source/hardware/reprap community. »

Do you remember what nick you were using, or the date, or the some specific word that was used ( "mks" and "sbase" didn't yield any discution looking anything like what you mention ) ?
As I said above SBASE and spelled like that. Doesn't really matter because #reprap is a dead irc channel. It once was really great but it has a few bad things happen to it. The old timers left with their knowledge and newer thugs took over. It has a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about but really are just bags of wind. It has elitists and rich boy types where if it isn't a Bugatti then it is junk. People today do not even know what IRC is so the pool of brains out there isn't on the IRC in a great number.

Then we have the minority, like you Arthur, who know stuff and are will to help and I know is biased because of their love of their baby but are still willing to help.

I will say even on the smoothie channel, when I would go in there, I could get respectful answers to even questions not related to smoothie whereas in #reprap I just couldn't. May have changed in the smoothie channel but it has only gotten worse in #reprap. I don't need to be told to go buy a smoothie. I don't need to be personal messaged things that I can't repeat here because I dared bring up SBASE. People didn't know it was me so the bias towards me was not there. So, if I got that as a regular user what do you think a neophyte would get?

Just saying it is what it is on #reprap but anyone out there don't mention this board on it because they will not help you and I was directly told that. They don't help the open source community and the reprap community so you will not get help with it. Plain and simple that you are on your own.

Oh, another thing that goes back to the Bugatti/elitism crowd is that if it doesn't cost 80 dollars for a mere RAMPS it is junk. I got made fun of because I had a Chinese made eBay RAMPS and not one of those 80 dollar Ultimachine ones. All boils down to why IRC is bad as I have been told and why people stay away from it who even remember what it was. As I have been told there are a lot of forums out there. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc... to take the place of IRC with rules about such things but that is off the topic of this.

Final words on this subject...#Smoothieware is a good channel whereas #reprap is not anymore. Don't go to irc and talk about this SBASE board because you will not get help and will probably get what I got or worse. #reprap has now become a barker channel for all things Smoothie and that is not what that channel was originally created for. Smoothie is a fantastic board (for me it only lacks the soft endstops) but people should not be told off, feel obligated to buy it, or feel discouraged if they didn't buy it on #reprap.

_______
January 15, 2016 03:27PM
I did get frustrated/angry with SBASE. Seller is probably as stubborn as I am, though i am capable of admitting my own flaws, squeaks, beeps quirks and errors.. He refused to offer help. (other than the option to solder the parts in myself). It took a a negative review before he admitted he was wrong. Too bad it had to come that far.

@Arthurwolf; To what email can i donate a contribution for using your guys' technology? least i can do IMO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 03:40PM by to3dornottobe.
January 15, 2016 03:47PM
to3dornottobe
I did get frustrated/angry with SBASE. Seller is probably as stubborn as I am, though i am capable of admitting my own flaws, squeaks, beeps quirks and errors.. He refused to offer help. (other than the option to solder the parts in myself). It took a a negative review before he admitted he was wrong. Too bad it had to come that far.

@Arthurwolf; To what email can i donate a contribution for using your guys' technology? least i can do IMO.

[smoothieware.org] has the donate button smiling smiley At the moment it all goes to jim mostly so he can buy hardware to test things on. A few people have donated, which is very nice, thanks a lot to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 03:47PM by arthurwolf.
January 15, 2016 07:53PM
to3dornottobe

Yep, as I said Smoothie is damn awesome and the support is even better. I did find out that the 3 stepper isn't really made and the 4 isn't available in the states right now. So, 5 or nothing and I chose nothing because of the steep price.

I think this is a learning experience for everyone and I do hope this thread people will find when they do a Google search for sbase or SBASE or Ramps alternatives so they can stay away from them. Who wants a virtually unsupported piece of hardware like it is?

_______
January 18, 2016 11:20AM
Kind of off topic, but since I mentioned it earlier--my "Canadian Duet" arrived on Saturday. The timing was perfect because I had a 6-hour print lock-up about 1/4 of the way through (printing from SD) twice in a row, so I got frustrated with the SBASE and swapped it out for the Duet to try it out.

First impressions are the build quality is flawless, and I'm really liking the web based interface. My only complaints are I'm not a big fan of the connector layout, at least on v0.6, and I miss having a PID auto-tune feature. But neither are a big deal and more preference then problems. I did replace the header pins for the extruder heater connection with a screw terminal block though.

Anyway, I have a hunch the SBASE freezing could have been the el-cheapo 1GB microSD that came with it. It formats and tests OK, but I'd like to retry the print with a known quality microSD. The exact same gcode file (except for extruder/bed temperature and retraction length) that locked up the SBASE printed fine on my Prusa i3 w/MKS-GEN 2Z running Repetier-firmware.
January 18, 2016 11:39AM
w3drk
Kind of off topic, but since I mentioned it earlier--my "Canadian Duet" arrived on Saturday. The timing was perfect because I had a 6-hour print lock-up about 1/4 of the way through (printing from SD) twice in a row, so I got frustrated with the SBASE and swapped it out for the Duet to try it out.

First impressions are the build quality is flawless, and I'm really liking the web based interface. My only complaints are I'm not a big fan of the connector layout, at least on v0.6, and I miss having a PID auto-tune feature. But neither are a big deal and more preference then problems. I did replace the header pins for the extruder heater connection with a screw terminal block though.

Anyway, I have a hunch the SBASE freezing could have been the el-cheapo 1GB microSD that came with it. It formats and tests OK, but I'd like to retry the print with a known quality microSD. The exact same gcode file (except for extruder/bed temperature and retraction length) that locked up the SBASE printed fine on my Prusa i3 w/MKS-GEN 2Z running Repetier-firmware.

Many thanks for that input I am after another V0.6 board myself so this is the obvious choice if he still has any come Payday.

What connector's / Headers are on it I thought they were the std white Molex ones though they could always be the Dupont style I suppose (I personally prefer the Molex ones)

Edit just checked the EBAY Item and it does look like Dupont Style headers oh well just nee to be extra careful wiring then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 11:48AM by dougal1957.
January 18, 2016 11:45AM
I prefer the locking Molex myself too, but they're just the regular Dupont headers.
January 18, 2016 11:53AM
Will have to hit the button on one next monday then even importing them to the UK they are half the price of a 0.8.5 just need to see if I get stung for Customs duty did notice the increase in price from your first post mind.

I love mine and I even have a genuine Smoothie sat in a box here (that is destined for a Shapeoko CNC Router)

Doug
January 18, 2016 12:11PM
I look into MKS TFT display PDF. Connection to RAMPS is described. But how to config Marlin??
As I understand I need to define serial port number corresponding to RAMPS Aux1 pins. But what are they and where to config?
Or maybe other way?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login