Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible to connect multiple heat beds on megatronics?

Posted by GiMars 
Possible to connect multiple heat beds on megatronics?
April 16, 2015 06:31AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to 3d printing but i do have a cnc milling machine with ground-plane of 60x40cm. I'm converting this machine into a 3d printer but i have a question about the heated beds.
Is it possible to connect two heated beds together and control them with the megatronics v3 and a extra power supply?

I was thinking to connect them in series, so that it becomes 24v and amperage stays the same. But can the megatronics load be 24v for everything or does it need to be two different power supplies?

Thanks
Re: Possible to connect multiple heat beds on megatronics?
April 16, 2015 06:58AM
That's an awful lot of heatbed load, especially if your goal is to reach 110C to print ABS. I would get two SSR's (with heat sinks) and keep that load away from the Megatronics.....
Re: Possible to connect multiple heat beds on megatronics?
April 16, 2015 07:59AM
Foe a 60x40cm heated bed, I estimate you will need 600W of heating power as a minimum, and 1kW to 1.5kW would be more like it if you want to reach ABS printing temperatures quickly. At these power levels, only AC mains power is practical.

The good news is that you can get a silicone bed heater custom made to your size, voltage and power requirements quite inexpensively from these people [alirubber.en.alibaba.com]. Mount it on the back of an aluminium plate (I use 5mm thick), and either print on the top surface or put a sheet of glass on the top surface and print on that. Also, you can drive such a bed heater very easily using an inexpensive zero-crossing SSR such as SSR-25DA, without needing a heatsink at these sort of power levels.

The bad news is that you have to pay attention to insulation, protective grounding, enclosing all the live wiring, and preferably provide RCD protection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 08:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login